Monday, July 9, 2007

The Thought Traveler: A Tale of Mischief, Wonder, and Woe. Part V

I quietly enter the first room, and create a mechanical alarm at the door which I close behind me. I then edge my way to each room, checking to see what is locked, shut, closed, and open. All seems as I left it, the lockable doors locked, the other doors closed. Still, I check each room, finding nothing and seeing no disturbances, the goods I found and stowed remain. I close and lock what I can, again, as before, save for the office. I go into the office, find and abscond with the Legos, then close and lock that door too. The Legos I take to the first room and set to the right of the door. I am looking forward to seeing what I can make with these.

I ease out of the apartment, go into a squat, pause, and attempt to master the feel of the building again. I hear the air conditioning sounds, feel the air movement and fullness, and pick up what of the rest of the hum of the building, that which may be heard over the ac unit. I then listen for anything else. With no reason to worry, I shut and lock the door behind me, and begin my ascent to the main entrance hall level. Again, and again, as I ascend to the first apartment level, I squat and listen. No sound, no feel, nothing but the complexes life sounds and quiet.

I reach the first level, and pull out my map. The simple rectangular outer dimensions are betrayed by the intricate lay of the interior halls. It appears to be a labyrinth, and an irregular one. Each area is different and each floor is self-styled. A complication for thieves or other outsiders, I suppose. I brought markers which are invisible without the goggles, yet I would like to see if I can find my path without them as daylight might reveal my presence through them. I head in my pre-selected path and arrive at the first of my choice apartments.

The door is locked, a good time to test the master key. As good as gold, the key opens the lock. I listen, and then open the door. I step in and do a quick survey. No one is here, the place is a bit of a mess, and most items are gone. I find a food items, several sets of tools, some bedding and towels, and a some other minor potential wants and needs. I note these on a pad, collect the items, then store them in the main closet. I complete several apartments, listing, collecting, stashing, then moving on when I hear her approach. “Isabelle”, I whisper. I have a treat, which I proffer. She smells, licks, then finally takes the food. “Meow”? “More, later”, I say. She follows me through the rest of this floor, and as I near the stairs to the next floor, something beyond my senses attracts her attention, and she departs without so much as a look. As I am musing about why such a thing pleases me, I hear something. A door closed loudly, or a heavy item set down slightly clumsily, probably from the third floor, by the dimension of the sound and common sense, though that last being a tricky thing. I take the steps up slowly and with care.

6 comments:

  1. and the tension continues to build.
    (I hope Isabelle survives this tale. I do love cats :))

    Looking forward to the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yeah? Glad you are enjoying. As for Isabelle, not even I know that... Stupid author and that artsy fartsy stuff and their secretive "imagination machine" bull (never believe them). Anyway, I love cats too or she would already be .45 fodder. Sadly though, heros sometimes must die, often, to become heros or while being heroic. I'm pulling for her, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. .45 fodder...surely you jest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, something has to feed that need. Doesn't it? Who knows. Fluffy the .45 Fodder, I actually might name a cat that, if I can get one someday.

    Jest? Take everything I write with a grain of salt, but one more jab like that and the cat gets it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to look up mea culpa, though I thought it meant, essentially, 'my fault', or 'my bad' more loosely. Well, I couldn't have that, now that I know that was right. I'll find a way for the cat to not get *et or anything so as to spare you both. *laughs*

    The frustrating thing is, I really would like a cat. On some posting here or elsewhere, I indicated that an artist who painted something, no matter how well he painted it, could not have what he painted. Yeah, ok, there I go. Then again, depending on if the new neighbor thing works out, I may beg my landlord. Promise to keep the foul beast clipped of nail and in the place, and neat and clean. I wanted to name my last one Bitch, not a mean thing, it was her nature and I saw it. My people talked me out of it then, but I am solo now, so... I will look for just the right feline lass to grace my nature and vice versa, should it be allowed. She will call me a few choice things too, I am sure, and in fairness, without it being personal, probably.

    *et - in the Scrabble dictionary: to be eaten, give or take. Perhaps as past tense of ate as well.

    ReplyDelete

Backsass Here