Sunday, October 17, 2010

Drats!

.
.
My computer is again having troubles. Blogging may be spotty or may end without notice and until I can get one of the machines working. I really have to consider a new computer. If only my arse spit green paper with a somewhat artistic flair. Or, something like that. I suspect the problem is merely the power supply. But the machine is old, I am guessing 7 years or older. Further, with Microsoft adding an addition to XP after telling everyone for some time that it was not going to continue supporting it, 3 or 4 of my drivers are out of date and there are no patches and will not be patches. The other industries have moved on and refuse to look back. As I see it, Microsoft is trying to screw people into upgrading or updating their systems. Of course, downgrading the version of XP is an option. But with reverse engineering being what it is, the flaws in the old have been exposed by the fixes in the new version. Just... letting you know. If you do not read anything new for a bit, do not be to worried.

With money as it is, I really do not know how to change this. There are two or three computer shops in town. They will build a super custom machine, no doubts. However, they are even more expensive than, if cheaper in quality as well as price, box machines. I am considering asking two of the shops to see if we can bring the price down by using their knowledge of parts and purchase power and my ability to build the machine. A sort of marriage which, if more expensive than simply ordering and hoping I get everything and get it right is also less (much less?) than having them do the whole thing. It is a spooky proposition, but...

I have looked at Egghead, done online searches, and tried to pick components that work together. I have indeed created a list of items, most of what would be needed if not a complete list, and... it sits. The problems I have with simply ordering parts a bit at a time is that when the whole thing is eventually corralled, compatibility issues, simply having the pieces fit and work properly, and maintaining warranties as they arrive, becomes... difficult. I may have to get on getting that rebate back and use some of it and some cash to buy a machine I can trust. I will be going for nearly the most powerful processor, a very good near the top video card(s), very hefty RAM, a smaller very fast hd and a bigger storage hard drive. And, like it or not, a decent sized flat panel... then again, do they sell anything else? I don't want "cool" anything. I want stock hard core utility power and stability. Gaming to science, the thing needs to hum. I do not care, and actually would prefer the reverse, if Johnny Badapple thinks it is gnarly, bad, hip, or such. I hope it bores Johnny. Less likely to be stolen that way anyway.

*grumbles*

I realize that what locks me up, on many things, is money. If I do something and make a big mistake, or with the house run into huge problems half way into a tear down, I would simply be stuck. I have decent money available each month, to live on and play a little. I do not have a nest egg, I do not have a large some over living expenses, and I have several ongoing projects as is. I have thought about it. If I could somehow generate about $150,000, to pay off the house and other items, my income would be good to do about anything else I wanted to do. I would be free, after a few months of saving, to actually simply begin designing and fixing the kitchen, finding out about the fireplace, and considering a well. Come on lotto! Too bad I do not play. *grins*

2 comments:

  1. Hey, psst!

    No hiding. Some of us need our Doom-fix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well crap. Now I'm just going to worry about you until you post again.

    ~fume~

    ReplyDelete

Backsass Here