Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Dinner with the neighbors.

.
.
They have six children, from six to sixteen or seventeen. I can't remember how old the eldest daughter is, but something like that. I can only imagine how things are as such, from the little glimpse I got. Though having a visitor does stir the pot a bit I think. I remembered having that many siblings, but from the prospective of a child, and the youngest at that. For the adults, at times, it must be chilling. Still, that is exactly what I wish for. While you can never be alone, as a downside, that is also a very solid upside. You can never get so into yourself that you forget what is happening. I honestly am jealous, in the best of ways.

It was also good to speak with adults. Bleary eyed from the work of raising children, cooking, gardening, teaching, and life, they were still quite pleasant hosts. I still am not quite sure how they do it, then again I don't think they always know. And it isn't like six children just appeared on their door step. It was one at a time until someone noticed the bathroom needed a schedule! :)

I hope I wasn't a poor guest. I seem to just say things. I might get labeled as a heretic, probably even by some Catholics, and not just religiously. I tend, as you know, to take an actionable and positive (as in active) conservative position. And women, conservative or not, tend to be rather of the liberal bent. Women, I think, don't tend to trust action because they aren't as capable of it as men. Diplomacy and trust are what they depend upon. Never worry, I think I was decent.

I will admit, while I enjoyed the children, they did wear me out. Something about the way they shed more energy just... moving, or talking, or anything, than I seem to have in my whole body. It absolutely wore me out. I needed a nap when I got home. The more I see of children, the more I would like a half dozen or more. Oh, I am of no misunderstanding. You don't have children to extend your life, if that does tend to happen. You share your life with some random creature who will eventually become their own person. I remember a comedian who suggested children where bums you create for your own home. Too funny. But they are blood. They are the future. They are to hope, trust, faith. And they are every bit a natural part of the bitter-sweet relationship between men and women. A truce to a war that can never be won.

Dinner was very good too. It was amazing watching the final touches of cooking. She feeds an army! I can only imagine how much food they go through in a week, month. Cooking must almost be a non-stop effort.

Anyway, that was my night, with a nap thrown in afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Backsass Here