Saturday, May 3, 2008

Weights!

After taking a look around the weight room, moving a few things just a bit, and sorting a few other items, I believe the room is again a functional weight training area. That being the case, I went online tonight in order to seek a regimen. After a few false starts, promising sites that led from page to page, finally saying, just hand us your credit card and we will give you everything we have been promising up to this point. *sigh* That IS capitalism. It also sucks for such a common thing. Sell something else, not physical fitness information. Beside that, I know it is offered free if I just hunt and peck. Sure enough, I found a decent site.

It has been some time since I worked out, yet I have some notion of good and bad information. The site I chose is “sufficient” and accurate. Anyone telling you that you need to do things exactly as they do (or at least how they tell you to do them) is probably dead wrong. The more complex the regimen, as well, the more likely it is to fail. This site was simple. Though it does not offer a great deal of variance, that is not necessary initially. Nor does it need to offer variance as long as it discusses which muscle groups to hit how hard and gives a good example exercise, which this site does. There system of increasing weight both through the workout and then through time was a little complicated at first glance (and in part because I could not initially find a necessary deciphering page (which ended up being a scroll down, rather than on it’s own page)).

All said and done, after tinkering with their system and figuring out how it works, then testing my strength according to their instructions using my weights, I have set up a 6 week workout. I will be doing 7 different exercises, progressively stepped through each work out and then throughout the weeks, though I decided against two of the exercises (shrugs and squats, shrugs just cause (I do not believe I need, yet), and squats because my knees are too weak, always have been mostly). As for my legs, I think some hiking, swimming, and bowling should do the trick. I just need to focus on my kick while swimming.

I should be through this regimen, this starter regimen, by the time I head out to Colorado and Nevada. I am hoping it helps, though most likely I will not even look that much better, in truth. Something I noticed when I bowled, however, was that though I am still strong, it is not a graceful strength. I bowled more like Frankenstein less like a ballerina. Yes, I do know the difference, yes it bothers me, and yes, this might help that a bit. It is all it increments, folks. Oh, and I am being careful. I am not going near my maximums, merely, as the wise folks indicate, doing slightly more than majority percentages of maximums to begin with, and actually all the way through the regimen except for the last of the exercises the last of the weeks, by which time I will probably have new maximums in spite of continuing to percentage off the initial maximums. Though a prayer that I do not break my arm, leg, back, or neck could never hurt! Ha!

Who knows, I may have to find a good self teaching piano course and begin at the beginning again there too. Damn but if it is not a fine thing to tinkle out a classic. Baroque is calling, it always does, it is akin to the calling I received to become Catholic if a bit milder and not quite so spiritually commanding. God is tricksies. I am nervous.

6 comments:

  1. Your day with your lady friend sounded lovely and fun. Good for you!

    I used a bench and free weights at home for about 6 months before joining a gym. Got hooked on that for about two years until I hurt my back (moving and lifting a desk at home) and was on disability leave from work for 5 months.
    Have not had the motivation since to get back into any kind of routine. I did love it, though. Made such a huge difference in my energy level and sleep and mood.

    I wish you well with it and I am not going to say 'be careful'. Nope. I'm not :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the thoughts. It has been so long, I cannot remember. I purchased the equipment to get back to it, but one thing or another has always seemingly interfered with my restarting. At one time, my top weight for bench pressing was 550 (and I weighed in at 240). Well, if my memories are to be believed. Sometimes I believe nothing, but this... I think may be true. That, if true, was decades ago though.

    I have no plans to attempt to get there. If I can get to the 400 pound club, I will be happy, but that isn't even a goal. Just to do it regularly and let it go where it may is all I will be doing.

    Hey! Maybe something even cooler will happen! Perhaps me getting off my duff, pulling myself out of the grave a bit more, and beginning this will encourage you to do so! Now that would be awesome, especially if it brought back your remembered functions of vigor and health.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmmm...I may still have some barbells lying around here somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and yes, I did enjoy my time with the Q.O.D. (queen of darkness should you have forgotten). Yes, she is a feminist, liberal, and sissy a bit, but if she can leave it alone, we have a great time. And, to be honest, even when her liberalism gets the best of her, I still have fun. It is she who walks away bawling about logic and reason and other "bad" things. I don't mind a girl crying because her party sucks. lols

    And, if she can then be quiet about it, I certainly can. If she forgets she just pledged to change the subject, I can enjoy reminding her. :p

    Oddly, lately, she has been quite a lady. She has not been contesting what she knows I believe, and we have had the most enjoyable dating one can enjoy! We date, though with absolutely no misunderstanding that it goes no further. I never go back, in a real way. So, it's been really enjoyable to enjoy the good parts of a past love without having to stick around for the bad parts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *grins* Hey, since you cleaned the place out a bit, and not so long ago, perhaps you have room to begin a regimen... I won't dare you, just send a prayer your way, and be grunting with you, literally if vicariously too.

    Huff and Puff and blow the weights up, knowing what goes up, must come down. Become the choo-choo train who more than knew she could, she did. WaHoo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a shame that more romances that don't work do not maintain a friendship. Good for you.

    heh...prayers will motivate more than dares. I'm still pondering
    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Backsass Here