.
.
I have been researching ebook readers. Kindle 2, Sony's offering, and many more are available. They all have issues, and rather large issues. Whether they offer too little content, no control of the content one buys, short battery life, proprietary software or content, and so on, none of them truly stands out (unless popularity is outstanding). From what I have read, this is a toy so far. For princes and princesses it is the new cool toy, not so much because of the price, but because of the price to value to complexity to surety which limits it's value. For professionals perhaps, and a few others, it might be an actual tool. For the home user not in the class which can afford a toy while waiting for a more trustworthy tool, I am guessing that it may need to stay on the shelf for now. Certainly for me it will. Let the manufacturers and law figure out how not to rip people off, how to make a product that is more functional, and let the brutal democracy of the free market settle some things.
The idea is wonderful. Though I will always have a library, especially if I buy a home. I will not have room for as many books as I would like. I am sure I could not afford the number of books that I would like either. I probably cannot afford the number of books I have read. Some books I see as required for any home. Other books, though nice, would be read and filed until more important books came along. The ebook reader would expand the possibilities. If, of course, one can be sure that the books they buy are actually owned and not, as has happened, merely be stripped once bought or be lost in hardware, or possibly software, upgrades. I have read more than one report of people losing many books to two of those three causes.
Another thing that has been whirring in my mind is a passage in which Christ is discussing the woman who marries each of seven brothers, successively (according to Jewish law/custom), bearing no children, who then herself dies. The story or Christ's words are not befuddling until the very end, when He suggests that about these things, the men are very confused. He does not, then, go on to explain. He does indicate that we will live as angels do.
And, yes, I am confused. Some things I do know are that angels may, somehow, have sex. At least with humans. And not only may they engage in these types of relationships, they may father children. Though, and again, it would seem that for the most part, the ones who became fathers were among the fallen. There is little else absolutely clear regarding angels within the bible itself. There might be hints, but these are small and rare. The prophetic books cannot be held to the standard of, say, what Christ said. Then again, I have speculated that Heaven is not the end. Or, more, the initial stop in heaven proper is only the beginning, as perfected children of God. Though I think Heaven is more than it seems, something akin to discussing Church. Is Church the people, the building, the ceremony, the bride or body of Christ, or what? Huh? Yeah, I know. Heaven, technically, will be everything that is not Hell or, in my belief, Purgatory. So, will their be a capitol of NotHell called Heaven, or will Heaven be a land (all land other than the exceptions)?
Next up, technology, as a whole, is often more troubling than it is helpful. I suppose one needs to be very interested in the technology to invest more than a glance at most of the items, devices, and systems. Though, I suspect, being more social (or professionally oriented) might help, at least with those who share similar interests. To be shown how to do something, enough to get the feet wet, does help. I have found that many know a technology very well, but only in a very limited way. For example, someone might know Linux very well, but how to get it on a computer, which distro to use, how to fix Windows XP, how to set it up for security, these all simply are not a consideration. Or, they know what is secure, for example, but someone else set up their security and they have no more of a clue about it than I do.
With as many technologies that are out there, and how many invade even a home computer user's space, it becomes more than a bit daunting. Furthering the dilemma is the fact that even should you catch up on today's computer and internet, unless you are in the pack which develops usage, tomorrow you will be just as lost as you were before you learned yesterday's technologies. This, then requires trust. Many computer users simply trust what they buy, the internet, and their ISP. I think this is a huge mistake and yet it is difficult to fault that too much. As someone who tries to keep a machine safe and functional, who has some education, capacity, and time, I have to say it would probably be better, more functional, and safer (since nothing now seems to work on this machine) to simply let it be.
I suppose it would be like the man who wants to do the work on his own automobile these days. He will end up over his head in expensive tools, labor demands, and technology requirements most mechanics do not fully understand. It seems to take a team to complicate a system beyond the reach of diy'ers, or even often practicality. How much he will end up paying to repair even a simple mistake is difficult to say, but he will most likely end up without a vehicle, with a large bill, and possibly out of work due either to a lack of transportation or missing work to fix his ride. The difference is, he does not put private thoughts in his vehicle that a mechanic or thief could gather for whatever purposes. Oh, in case you were wondering, no, I have not fixed the computer(s) yet.
*bam, bam, bam!* Ouch. Well, it gives me something to think about when all else fails and the walls become my closest friends for a bit.
Not to wish to confuse matters further for you, but consider Jesus' words to the believing thief on the cross--"today you will be with me in paradise", not heaven.
ReplyDeleteAre the terms meant to be interchangeable? Or not?
Paul spoke of several levels of heaven that he beheld in visions that God gave him. Revelation (and a few passages elsewhere) provide a detailed glimpse of the highest heaven--the throne room of G-d Almighty. And I have discerned in Revelation a three part perspective of the judgements poured out--the first is from the perspective of the throne room, the second perspective is from the angelic realm over the earth, and the third is the view from earth itself--(c.f. seals, trumpets, bowls).
My own vision of these things only extends to what I may presume is paradise, the temporary resting place of the righteous in Christ. And if we are to take the vision of Revelation at it's word, then the location of this realm is contained beneath the altar of God in heaven (think Tartus).
What Jesus meant (IMHO) is that the niggling details of the law with which the Sadducees hoped to trap him, do not apply in the hereafter. Marriage is a covenant for mortal man and the bonds of marriage dissolve at death. "Until death do us part", is the old traditional vow.
First, I never buy an electronic item when it first comes out. I do this for two reasons,1) usually the manufacturer hasn't eliminated all the glitches, and 2) usually the item's expensive and my husband and I can't afford expensive.
ReplyDeleteSecond, I do believe that the term paradise probably refers to heaven. That makes sense to me. I don't think that dying is the end. I am not sure about heaven, though. Does God have us go through many portals, or different levels of heaven? I do believe that there is a heaven, a hell, and a purgatory. My husband more in tune on these and this subject would very much interest him, so I'll send him over here later.
BTW- My husband usually takes advantage of SCRIBD for ebooks. He finds that scribd has alot of free books there.
D.C.,
ReplyDeleteHeaven forbid that I be confused. Pour it on. *grins*
And, I have a bit of a confession to make. I believe I have seen paradise. I was dead for, oh, 4 to 5 minutes the second time. They had, so I am told, pretty much ended their attempt to revive me, and came back seemingly on my own. (I told you I was slow, they should have just rung the dinner bell.) What I saw was... interesting. I went through no white light though, just... peace. I could describe it, and there are physical ideas you could understand, but the existence there is not describable.
But what is beyond that I could not see. And, to be honest, I did not try. There was no need. We all knew He was coming. Imagine a line that has no impatience, worry, or bother with order. Waiting a million years would not have been an inconvenience, not at all.
As for the rest, yes, I am familiar with it. The many mansions, the places of existence, and all of that. As for what Christ said, I can see what you are saying as being quite possible. I can also see that what He said was for all of us, that we really have no idea. Which, well, is true. How much this relates to life in Heaven only time will tell. But there was something to the tone and sharpness and absoluteness of what Jesus said that struck me, personally, potently, as well as generally.
Teresa,
Part of the reason I call them toys for princes and princesses. Even if you had the money, though, that is wise. I like waiting for the technology to mature, drop a notch due to glut from a decrease in "Ah, new toy!" demand, and perhaps another newer technology to further drop the price. (Though it looks like Amazon is effectively eliminating that by killing function and access from Kindle 1 to Kindle 2 mutual book access (or even existence of some books)). I am with you all the way on that score. Though, I am still waiting a bit for more promise or lower prices, probably. Oh, cool. If your hubby uses Scribd, it would be interesting to hear what he thinks. I know they are said to be good, very good, and I knew about free ebooks. But all this is academic, so far. None of my machines work, or work well enough to do more than research atm.
Now, as for paradise being heaven... I think there is a waiting room. For those who are good, I think there is a good place. And I think there is one for people who are evil. Or at least, if my experience was anything but oxygen deprivation. And if my readings, like D.C.'s, are sort of on target. But that waiting room is the ante-chamber to Heaven, as I see things.
What causes me some wonder, however, is that once evil is once and finally conquered, all that is not good will be in Hell (which, I think, is actually the confinement by the fire of the Holy Spirit). Anything not of God outside of Hell would be destroyed merely by God's presence I think. It even indicates that when Christ returns, He will be cloaked in the Holy Spirit. I think that is not so that Christ will be protected from us, but that we will be protected from Him (he is now living in perfected flesh, and as God would, would otherwise destroy us by His mere presence).
Now, I must be honest. Whether one believes in some minor and debatable elements of Christian thought are not vital to salvation. Belief in Heaven, however, is vital. For why else would God come to earth and die if there was nothing to follow? And, that sort of means Hell has to be true. If Christ died for all, and there was no requirement to get into Heaven, and there was nothing other than Heaven, would He not have said that rather than saying the path to Hell is broad and easy while the path to Heaven is difficult and small? But whether one believes in Purgatory, or is merely and happily surprised by finding themselves in it, I am not sure that is required for salvation, for example. *chuckles*