Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Another day, a thnner wallet? Probably.

I woke up late again. I really struggled to wake up enough to get going but just could not do it, even after giving myself a couple extra hours to sleep after being up late. My landlord called, but I did not hear that. When he rang the bell, twice, I heard that and only got up to check who it was. He had already gone out to the garage, as I later learned. Anyway, I tossed on some shorts and a t-shirt and headed out. He was indeed working on the garage door. And, I see two mistakes I made. First, spring size. Yeah, I sort of guessed that but thought it might work anyway. Second, there was a wire that should have been attached that I had missed. He did thank me for trying, and asked if I would be around if he needs some help. Of course, especially since I failed to just get it done.

Ok, so I have never worked on such a device before. You see, there are extreme disadvantages to not having a dad around who not only does these things and gets your help and teaches. Mothers are good for boys until about 5-8 years of age, I do not know about girls. Then it should be dad who starts taking over. I actually do ok, mechanically, but only because I have some natural aptitude for that, and I have dumb strength.

I have a humdinger of a headache as I wake up. I probably should take it easy for the rest of this week. If my neighbor wants to go fishing, I will do that. And I would still like to try to make it to church these next few days. Other than that, I think I had better just stay home, drink plenty of water, and relax, or at least light duty if I do things. I pushed it hard at my mother’s place, and I pushed it hard when I got back. I have stretched my awake hours and gone out into very hot temperatures. I must have been ok to some degree though as my calves no longer hurt even after yesterdays jaunt, work in the garage (I did not have a ladder, so I used two of my truck stands, extended, to stand on while mucking with the mechanisms), and running around late getting the fish tank and then the water.

This winter I plan to learn cross country skiing. I have heard it is the best method of winter mobility, over snowshoes. In almost any snow, you really cannot just trudge through. As well, with my weight and a full pack weight, I have not found a snow shoe that realistically supports that combination. Yet with skis, there are quite a few lengths and widths which will more surely cover the weight (mass to you yahoos). I am hoping to be in good enough shape to comfortably begin weight training in the winter months too. It would be nice to get up to over double my weight again, but at my age, 400 pounds is probably more reasonable. At least I already have a half dozen (3 regular and assorted special) or more different bars, an excellent bench, dumbbells, this and that, and well over half a ton of straight weights, so no extra expense there. Though it would be good to have a weight lifting partner.

I did not check my weight this morning, but I must say, I am losing some of my belly. I think with the foods I am eating, along with the simple walks, getting out in the sun and heat, fishing, and such, I should really be getting up to speed for some serious out-of-door long term fun. I can do incredible things, if the short term, as is. At least according to my thinking and some people who have been with me at times. I just wonder what I can get up to doing again. Humans are amazing if they do not limit themselves; fear the pain, discomfort, and time expense of conditioning; and have and use a flexible brain. Of course, I have to compare to when I was 19 and I will never ever be there again. That was a whole other world. Then again, I would not like that man/boy if I met him now. I really do despise cocky punks, even if they have earned some of it.

Hmm, what to do though. I might have to get out the .22 rifle and see if the longer range is open. It is sighted in to 30 yards, but I would like to get that to 50 yards. Then I need to practice a bit and see where it hits at 25, 75, and maybe even 100 yards. It is fun to shoot anyway, so it is not like this is work. And, I have several thousand rounds in 500 round lots of various makes as I try to determine the most accurate for my rifle and pistol. Might have too look around for a 5 gallon bucket first though, so that if fishing becomes an interest, I can do that too. Dang, that means a filet knife as well. See what I mean about expenses compounding on anything one might want to do? Just a few dollars here and a dozen there, oh and that and this, and over there, it happens fast and often until the wallet is so hungry it bites the hand that fed it. Well, it is summer and I am finally able. I guess it is just the price of being more functional.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Backsass Here