Monday, June 18, 2007

Another success, another day done.

I made it to the wall and received training. It was not that difficult, but next comes the climbing. I will eventually have to find a partner somewhere, somehow. I still have to go in and be tested on what I was taught, but I can practice the few things here at home that are new. I will also have to learn to belay another person better. I just have to move faster with taking up slack and hand placement, and there are a few other things but those will come with practice.

It was pretty warm in there, but surprisingly it did not bother me too much. I think I could really like this. Of course, and as I said, I have not gotten to the climbing part yet. I will want to get shoes, as the cost of an entry level shoe is $80 or so but with rental being $4, that is just 20 rentals. This first month, I will probably be doing a lot of solo climbing down low, rent the shoes till next month, and maybe find a regular partner or two.

But, dang, I am really doing it. That is great and all. On the downside, my fiscal planning is falling apart. It will be another month before I can get the reloading station. I am picking up little things for my camping excursions and I am getting going on some activities, but it just kills me when I can not plan exactly. Things and activities end up costing a lot more than anticipated, unanticipated expenses creep in as a fact of life, and there really is only so much money, time, and energy, so I am not terribly worried. That I am actually getting to these things is a small wonder.

Tomorrow I believe I will be heading back out to the hunting path. I would like to see where some of those extra paths go. I may have to get up early and go out while it is cool. This time I will remember to take my swimming gear and probably a fishing rod or two. Why waste the drive on a single activity. I do not think I will be able to make church tomorrow, what with a two hour walk, a swim, maybe some fishing, the driving from here to there, and a home shower. However, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday should be church days, and again Sunday instead of Saturday again this week as I have to pick the Q.O.D. up at between 5:00 and 6:00 pm Saturday. I will just go out Friday late afternoon for my walk and maybe fishing. I am not sure how sore I will be, but two days off is probably good for now. I can afternoon fish on those days I do not walk and wish to go to church for something extra to do. I found some glowing afterdark bait. I did not find the lantern I was looking for, but I did buy a strap-on headlamp which will do for now. It is too late to head out fishing or I would go. I try to be to bed by 10:00pm or at least be simmering down till I can rest, though if I happen to be out fishing and successful, I may make exceptions in the future.

I have been listening to the Andrew Sisters and Cohen a lot lately. Almost exclusively. They are great fun. As well, I think Cohen should be required listening for young gentlemen. I think he conveys a lot of our world in a matter of fact way. Of course, he is a bit artsy, but then what rascal, knight, or troubadour is not? There are a couple of other groups from the Andrew Sisters’ era that I have been thinking about. I cannot remember all the groups’ names but I will eventually find them. Hey, it has been a while.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting the class done.
    You're much braver than I... most all my climbing would be limited to stairs or elevators.

    I love the music from the 30's and 40's... the Andrews Sisters rawk! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I won't call it bravery because it doesn't frighten me. I used to fear heights. I had bad dreams as a kid. Then I learned to fly in my dreams, now I enjoy ledges and heights.

    I would love to take up some of that dancing too. I just haven't found even a non-romantic partner for that. Swing and such would be such a gas. You wouldn't happen to recall the Andrew Sisters' competitors would you? I have several Marlene Dietrich CD's but she is more mood dependent listening.

    ReplyDelete

Backsass Here