Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Malware.

.
.
Looking over articles, advice, forums, and whatever else I could find, I hit on something that seems to have scratched some itches.  Anti-virus works right until it doesn't.  Often, as in my case, it offers no way to do anything about whatever is going wrong.  The software merely let me know it is blocking something.  Super, I guess.  But the popups were maddening.  They offered no solution.  This has been going on for weeks.  As I said, I may have found a solution.  I downloaded the free version of an anti-malware, installed, then let it do it's thing.  It found, definitely, one type of malware.  It also found 110 other programs doing questionable things.  I simply quarantined everything.  I don't know it it will work, or for long.  Since doing that, the constant pop-ups have ended.  If I run into troubles, I will merely look over the quarantine list.

It seems there is another form of program that will sometimes work with anti-virus and anti-malware programs.  Anti-spyware.  I suppose it depends on what sort of programs, and manufacturers, as to what is compatible.  It seems firewall routers might be a reasonable addition.  I looked, just a bit, at those.  I have in the past as well.  It seems either you end up with junk, it's nearly impossible for a noob to actually set up, or it costs a fortune.  Though sometimes all three can be in play.  It's a lot of work and cost for a maybe.  Still, there is that.  It seems, to be somewhat secure on the internet, you need a degree in programming, software engineering, technical electrical hardware, and a lot of time.  Even then, it's just a maybe, until the next week spot is found in the hardware, software, manufacturing process, or your service screws the pooch or rolls over for the clumsy stupid hand of Big Brother.

Never mind.  For now I am trying to figure out how to install the freeware, for starters, on my laptop.  But not online.  You have, at best, minutes before a new machine is compromised.  I live near a college, my guess is there is less time.  While a firewall router might help, a bit, just getting that set up would be a lot of cost and hassle.  But first, a great deal of research into which one, and how to set it up correctly, would have to happen.  That is, assuming even so, that I find a way to install the anti-virus and anti-malware offline, first.  Bleh.  Well, it is a problem.  Something to tinker with.

I've been having a rough week, but might be able to get back to things shortly... I hope.  I'll just add solving that problem with figuring out my camera.  I can, for now, just touch up photos on the laptop, thumb drive them to my main machine if I wish to share them, and... that'll be that.  Of course, scanning the thumb drives before any process, each way, with what is available.  I am loving the sun.  I am almost amazed how much sun we actually have.  It was so densely cloudy that it seemed like we must only have a few hours of sun, and at a scant angle.  Heck, after a week of that, it feels like spring or something seeing the sun and blue skies all day.  That might bring me around a bit. 

Later.

2 comments:

  1. On the flip side, it may warm the cockles of your heart to know that your machine may have been contributing to the DDOS attack on North Korea this week. :) ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not really. If they used it to shut China and NorK down, for general purposes, on a regular basis? Yeah, maybe. But when they do it to attack them for something they really probably had little or nothing to do with, not so much.

    Inside job mostly, little to do with some stupid movie, just U.S. and Euro nutters trying to make some scratch, perhaps with typical half-baked libtardery involved as well, somehow.

    ReplyDelete

Backsass Here