.
.
Yeah, I know. Afternoon already and yet... Same as yesterday, and really the day I did get out last. Afternoon seems to be the time it takes for me to get going. I suppose I am keeping it a bit cool, with the windows and fans. Seems, in this season, I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't. If I don't make it too cool (relative, sort of) in the mornings, then it gets outrageously too hot by this time. But in keeping the temp down earlier, it impacts performance. Stuck in the middle? Yes. I'll take it though. Shaving a few extra, or five, or ten, or more degrees off my already cooler inside than out home is worth a later start. I am just hoping, when I get ready for a hike, I can just pick up and go before I realize I am out of my league? Yes to that too!
While I have the dehydrator, and some things planned for it, on hand, and other things yet to be purchased and tried, once I get arranged again for all of that, I am also looking at other tools. The next item will probably be a vacuum sealer, then maybe a slicer. Hrm... though I really need a grain mill, so... Yeah, probably the grain mill next, then those others, in that order. The goal is to increase storage, but also produce my own pack foods. To be honest, just what I have created in beef jerky has saved me more than the cost of the machine. *burp* And I haven't even, quite, eaten it all. Yeah, better get that sealer sooner than later. I'll do what I can.
How much does it save? Like I said, the jerky has already paid for the dehydrator. I am guessing, comparing mre's and freeze-dried prices, these devices will pay for themselves in one or two extended camping trips. Plus, I won't be dependent upon the general tastes of cooks who prepare recipes for a broad audience. I can make what I like, alter it to my tastes beyond that, and save money doing it. Plus, I can fill out my food storage for longer prep more fully and better, more affordably, cutting out a lot of middle men, a delivery system cost, and the rest.
As I choose a device, I read, look, compare. Price is but one qualifier. Not every higher price is justified. Do I need stainless when I know everything under it is plastic? No. Do I need a larger size, when a little bit of tinkering and minor elbow grease can allow a smaller sized unit to do the same work? No. But longevity, replacement parts, and things like that, are a consideration. As with all things, balance, and a realistic look at my accounts and income plus use by volume and time. I will never have it all down. Accounting isn't my schtick. I could do it, but I won't. Can't to be honest, in real terms. Just because you might be able to swim ten miles, most wouldn't do that for love or money. Just three miles three times a week and I sometimes had to deal with chaffing. Bleh.
I am also looking at what the device requires, or could use. As with the dehydrator, more plates and screens. And, in the longer term, a minor food slicer, for even cutting thus drying times. Some are needed and wanted sooner, some can just go on the list. With the vacuum pack sealer, bags of course, but what about mylar bags? There are round about ways, with the right attachments and tools. And, desiccants or oxygen absorbers? The Mormon church has studied, and found desiccant bags aren't necessary. Good enough for me. They don't play around on some things. But oxygen absorbers are recommended, so will be purchased with the kit. Mylar bags are more of a next step, sometime in the future. Right now the focus is on trail ready, short to mid-term, prep.
The goal is to, initially, have compact easy to eat foods on the trail, and meals ready for any occasion, as needs or wants might dictate. As experience is gained, then I'd like to add to my long term stores, learning what can be stored, for how long, and how best to do that. As well, in time, I am hoping to have enough meals laid up for my trip to Alaska, straight out, and extra. If I should move to Alaska, I am honestly hoping to have enough food laid up for two years of living before I have to consider buying a single food item... in a worst case scenario. Which probably means a couple of trips, first with Nandi, then with a rented moving vehicle of some sort. Doable.
If I don't move? Great. Then I'll be prepped for two years, and will probably grow that a bit, then begin living off it. Replacing as I use, broadening the scope and volume, but no more than a three year supply. As well, opening up other venues, such as making various soaps and shampoos, maybe growing some of my favored herbs and learning how to collect seed, adding rhubarb, asparagus, horse radish, and other sorts of things around the outside of the cave. Even if I go, those things might carry into Alaska, or there might be similar types of natural growing things to be developed even up there. I just won't garden proper. Too darned much work!
Well... I'll get on to something now. The bags. I want to empty the big one anyway, before repairs. That'll set me up to tinkering with some of the contents and figuring out what will go in which pack. Later.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Backsass Here