Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Decisions.

.
.
I decided to make photography the object of my Christmas purchase this year.  I really wanted to buy a better long zoom lens.  I have been doing minor research regarding them for a while and was almost sure I had one that would work.  As the time to grit my teeth, pull the plug, and spend the money arrived I simply couldn't do it.  There are 28-300mm, 70-300, 80-300, 70-200, pick one.  Prices range from $4-500 new on up to... how much do you have?  I have below 70 covered, well.  I have one prime, though would like to purchase several more primes.  But the next lens I want is that larger long zoom.

I have been considering, in time, another camera.  Initially I was considering a step down, a toss and go camera.  There are a number problems with that, more than solutions.  So I have decided that a step up will be the way I go, which means the glass (lenses) need to be better, and won't need internal drives.  While pictures will turn out better, crisper, cleaner, the price for the glass that proofs the body also goes up.  And goes up by a lot.  The camera I am considering, unless they come out with a step up (I like) between now and then, is the d750.  And, very possibly, as often as dogs are released, or gimmick cameras, I may stick with the d750 regardless.  The next gen might be offering, say, 50mp.  The cards for those, if they are quite out yet, are running at $500.  And... can you imagine how much cropping you might well need to do?  Printing won't catch up with that well enough to truly use that much... anything.  So, lens focus, not the focus of the lens mind you, has changed a bit.  And that through the decision making process just a bit off.

As is, though, there is another piece of equipment I have been considering.  I have a tripod.  Cheap but effective.  It is good for static shooting.  There is better, and in time perhaps, if I prove out in photography more, I might consider better.  But what I really have been looking for is a monopod that has it all.  Though I didn't have a lot of time to consider, I spent that time well, wisely.  There are more expensive monopods.  I don't think there is much better.  None have all of the features, even more expensive monopods.  Of those which have similar features, usually costing more to much more, those features are weaker.  Not only can this "monopod" act as a sort of tripod, and double as both a short 'tripod' and stick pod, it has all the best features of any kit I've seen, and then some.  Here is a review.


I know.  But I like it.  I am hoping to get out, doing this and that this winter.  I'd like to pack my camera and gear out too.  And next summer perhaps, as I can.  So...  A little incentive to get the snowshoes out, and get out in general, perhaps even setting up camping in the back yard... for starters.  I also purchased a few weather shielding bits, and a few other items to add to my photographic kit.  Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Backsass Here