Sunday, April 30, 2017

While resting, planning.

.
.
Okay, sure, I actually need to figure out how to wire the garage before I can truly get going with a shop.  I would like to get some heavier outlets, and regular outlets, out there, then split them around the garage so as to be able to plug something in almost anywhere... after which an automatic garage door, better lighting, and then insulation and rough finishing can go forward.  Of course, while all that is going forward, the shop will, itself, come together a tool, bench, or system at a time.  In theory?  If I live long enough?  Yeah.

Some things have been on my mind for a long time.  Some specifically, such as the need for certain tools.  A table saw is primary.  I'd love to purchase a true cabinet saw.  If I got the wiring right, the power shouldn't be a problem.  However, the real deal cabinet saws are not really meant to be moved.  Nor would there be a good place to move the saw aside.  Most things I purchase will need to be made so that they can be moved aside, put up, etc.

Beside tools, there are often systems into which tools can be fit which would make the tools much more useful.  An example would be a router table, for a more powerful router.  A hand router is good for some things.  To do serious routing for heavy or deep designs, hand routers would be difficult, imprecise, and perhaps dangerous.  Some of these tool cabinets can be hand made.  Even a ripsled for the table saw, until a crosscut saw could be afforded... if that would ever be possible.  Negotiations, between want, cost, space, and a few other things, will be an ongoing thing.

Still, I keep thinking about making stuff with what is on hand in order to use tools more fully.  Here are a couple of variations for a router table, an option for dowel instead of screw jigs, and a side work table if the main table isn't available or is otherwise employed.  A boy can dream.  Enjoy.

Take your pick, or look around more... perhaps mix and match.

If diy, or stubborn tight-fistedness with coin, is your way... or both... here.

She has a plan.  Can't knock it.  Worth a shot, easily, in my book.

Oh yeah.  I really would like to get things going.  Depending on how things go, this month, next, or the one after, I hope to be buying a table saw.  It's the only dewalt portable which allows for a dado blade.  It's not "perfect", and yet... it's exactly perfect for what I need, want, have room to use, etc.  Perfection, for some things, is... if not in the beholders eye at least in the beholders parameters.  It either fits or it doesn't.  A table saw, a router (maybe I didn't buy one?), electric in the shop, a double pull miter saw, and then a cordless kit, plus what I have, then some lumber and work, and... I'll have a shop.  THEN to buy wood et. al. to really dig in.

Of course, I always have this and that else going on in the meantime.  Years, decades... it takes so very long to build up a life.  Eventually, in time, it then begins to wind down.  But, gee whiz.  When they look at what you have done, what you have collected and used... learned to use, and do... may they say that you must have done your best and then some!  Who knows, perhaps, after I am done, someone else can pick up what I leave behind and do me one better, or at least carry on.  Life can be good that way, here, then, now, and before.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Backsass Here