.
.
I am certain it was done. Each ramekin and the patè mold pressed into souffle service worked as intended. The only problem was knowing when they were done. I'll look back over that. The first one I pulled was not done. The other two, in the smaller ramekins, came out very well. Further, I took those out seven to ten minutes apart, to test oven hold capability. That buys serving time, but only minutes. The bigger one, if only initially half full took another fifteen minutes past the latest smaller ramekin,as expected.
Oh, part of what threw me was not having the oven preheated. I was so embarrassed I actually blushed, then flushed from a bit of anger, then just put it in with a little prayer. So, now I know, it can be put into a cold oven. Crazy, Kittycat! Learning as I go, but well, and as usual by unintended operations, aka oops. As well, one of my abilities served me well. I grabbed one of the ramekins thoughtlessly. They were in at 400. I didn't burn or even sting, but I used mitts after that. So very strange. Oops indeed.
Taste? It was good enough. I liked the one cooked longer and the bigger portion, they developed a bit more skin on top which offered contrast to the fluffy center. It wasn't too eggy, at all. The real problem was the cheese was far too mild, if a perfect food for someone who is ill and can't handle much flavor or is prone to stomach upset. Me? I'll try the swiss, but I am thinking Gorgonzola. Perhaps with olives. Hells yeah. Or chocolate, perhaps the apple and sharp cheddar. Otherwise the texture was right, color and spooning and plating worked, just too mild for a young jazzer and all that jazz.
As to making batch after batch? I would need more ramekins. Which... I will buy another group, and a few larger ones, but... I'm not going too deep in. I need more for other cooking and baking anyway. I'll do the dishes and see if kicking out another batch is possible. Apple and cheddar? If I can, yea.
While I do have a stand and electric hand mixer, I hand beat the whites. I do have copper bowls, which helps, and a copper balloon whisk on the way. I had always wondered what cream of tartar was for, now I know. The reason to do it by hand is to get a better feel for what is going on, initially. Sort of like learning to shoot with a single shot, very roughly. I may stick with it, I will try the other ways once I feel I have the general process down. It actually didn't take me long, but I AM a stand mixer! :p
Later.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Backsass Here