Friday, August 7, 2009

Well, maybe Monday, or Tuesday.

.
.
The bureau I needed to visit was closed. It did not say it on the door, but I saw a woman coming out of the building, through an workers only entrance and asked her. State offices, she said, are only open Monday through Thursday. And, really, I knew that, if I had forgotten. My neighbor in Iowa has a sister here I had been emailing. She works for the state and told me about the new project. Instead of doing it in one or two departments as a trial (what she would have preferred and what sounds reasonable to me as well), they did this statewide this year. Longer hours Monday through Thursday, three days off, in the hopes of saving on everything from traffic to gasoline to reducing road traffic. I am curious how that is working, academically. But I am a bit miffed at myself. And the recording as well, for not highlighting that (especially since this is the first year of it).

The ride was long and dull. The city has 4 McDonalds, so finding which one the building I was looking for was behind was interesting. The mid-afternoon traffic was no different from the busier streets and times than Chicago, NYC, or any other major metro. And I only wasted a half a tank of gas and most of a day. On the upside, I know right were it is and how to get there.

I called the renter of the vacation property but he did not answer after four rings. So I let that go. Though I did follow his instructions and I did find the place. It is quite nice from what I saw of it. If weather allows, and my lady friend can make the trip, it should be quite nice. Lots of 'if's', but there is not much to do about it.

Though it sounds somewhat negative, it is not. I consider the day, for the most part, a draw. Round two on these issues will be either Monday or Tuesday. I am not sure I will be able to rise early enough to go to Taylorsville in time to do my business and return to Ogden for the V.A. appointment. It simply is not working out well for me to get up that early. I could try to stay up, but that is brutal and I do not wish to talk about my gun rights while half sacked out. All of this is delaying my contact with the landlady, who is only here half the day, from 13:30 to 17:30 or so. Argh! It will all get done, and in as timely a manner as possible.

Wow, I need a nap. Beyond the city having brutal traffic, I hit the freeway just in time to crawl 20 or 40 miles for seemingly no reason except that after work, the dead do not always rise. Bah! I have to remember to wear my sunglasses as well. Oh, and long sleeve, if thin material (sun resistant to 30 would be a great add as well), shirts would make driving in this heat a bit better. I am beat down and ready for a nap. Though hungry, sleep is calling much more strongly.

2 comments:

  1. Only mon-thursday, that's pretty slow. Like the traffic back eh. Hate big city traffic, it's just slow for no reason. And when there is a reason, it's even slower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, we ought to just buy a helicopter. Though either we would then need to break every law concerning such to get past traffic, or our pilot would. Hmm, but it would be sort of fun to rope down to some place, dust off a bit, and James Bond on with our day. Ha!

    As for the state, I think they should have gone with a trial balloon, barring that they should have made that more clear in their message as I said. But maybe they are in a serious crunch and were very certain about the savings. Utah is not out there begging the feds for money, so I'll pat them on the back for dyi fiscal responsibility. I just love to grumble. :P

    ReplyDelete

Backsass Here