.
.
I had planned to go to bed much earlier. But I got carried away in searching for some things and people on the internet. Then I realized I had to cook the beans! I have soaked them for more than 24 hours before, but they can easily become bad and even if they do not actually become rancid, they are really off and gooey or something. They certainly do not taste right, if they happen to still be useful. And, with me being on the road most of tomorrow, I would not be cooking them until late. So, cooking, I am, like Sam... the cook. I will try a bowl of them with a little cheddar cheese. Because I am not cooking rice as well tonight. That will be a job for tomorrow evening, or the night after. Once cooked, beans are good again for at least a week and maybe longer (if my memory serves).
I looked up the county in Idaho that is just across the boarder. Then I began a search for a number of my parameters. The housing there looks even less expensive and probably more rural. It is difficult to know, as some places did not have mapping tools available, or even an address I could plug into another tool. I have been pre-qualified and pre-approved before, so I do not think that will be a problem. Then again, you never know. But I am pretty sure if they can get you in a house, right or wrong, through hook and crook, they will. My job is to make sure I do not take too big of a bite. I know how much I can pay and how much I can afford. I am not willing to eat bologna sandwiches in a castle with a mote. Though I probably need to get all extra costs nailed down very well too, first. Utilities, taxes, insurance, expected maintenance, and a few other things that simply do not show up when viewing just the price of the house.
As I said, what I looked at in Iowa went from $650 a month payments to $1,000 and more a month through a bunch of things, not including utilities or anything else. I am not even sure insurance was in there. I never received a good answer for why the price, when configured through an amortization calculator at the list price and interest rate was raised to that level. I know D.C. talked about it, but I cannot remember if we came to a conclusion. When I called the dealer, I did not really get a clear answer. She was simply not telling me what was going on. I am still a bit nervous, therefore looking for a buyer broker. The closest sure one I have found is in SL City. I would definitely be out of his range.
Oh, I got the stuff to try the milk. I mixed up a batch, added the canned milk, and am chilling it now. I will probably shake it a few times while I am cooking the beans. I cannot wait to taste it. I made it normal strength, give or take. I did not have a one cup measure, so... I may have inadvertently added too much, as I guessed at 1 1/3 cup using a 16 ounce glass. Well, I am trying.
There was something I found while digging around in the LDS area regarding food storage. The notion that it is incumbent upon them to share. Not give their stores over to some freaky commune type thing, but to share. And, yes, I agree. Now, we cannot share with everyone, and some lines will have to be drawn. And, of course, there are types who might be taken in and types who would not. It is something I have not gotten to in my contemplation because at this point I have nothing to share except my shooting irons. And, I only share parts of the bullets from those. As I like to say, I will keep the brass, you can keep the lead. (Probably, if you die and were alone, I might dig that out too.) *evil grins* Well, if I had a supply of ammunition, powder, primers, brass, bullets, and such, I could trade as well.
Back to tinkering. It looks like I will be up until a little after 3:00. Not much sleep if I want to be on the road by 9:00 or 10:00, but it will have to do.
Good night.
Doom, Sugar Pie,
ReplyDeleteAunty was in yore back yard!! I had a plane change in SLC.
Ya made me laugh:
"And, I only share parts of the bullets from those."
Lemme tell ya one cheap (sorta) and very portable barter item :SEEDS
git a stash of organic seeds--that is, open pollinatin' seeds. Better'n gold iffin' Obanana Republic pushes the throttle forward.
Idaho? Know thar's some Basque folks up thar--they's good cooks-- an' know how to deal, ya git me?
BTW, throw an apple cut in half into yore pot of beans next time--absorbs the agent that causes gas--then throw out the apple after the beans is cooked. An ole Cuban trick fer Black Beans.
AuntyBelle (unsigned in)
Well, Hi Aunty!
ReplyDelete*grins* Well, I can be ornery. And if I try to be generous, sometimes I can only go havlsies, and in a way slightly more favorable to me. But the Lord knows I do try. *smile*
Ah, you know what, you are absolutely right. I planned on having seed anyway. And, I am guessing, having extra would be quite easy and economical! Of course, what would really add value is if you could show others how to collect seed from the produce and even flowers for the next year! (those would be a good thing to share, even, increasing the food supply... fewer hungry people (and more people working) makes for a more stable people). Very good idea, for barter and sharing.
I will have to try that with beans. But I have the oddest system. I almost never get gas. However, I know people who do. Still, it would be interesting to try to see if it causes me gas! I have a brother who gets gas from looking at beans, and used to be able to share those at will. Though I openly despised that, I was secretly jealous. I did not just write that.
I do get you on the Basques. Coming from where they do, and with their history, that they can cook and 'clean house' is no surprise to me. I have known about them for some time. I don't understand all, but enough. I suppose, like Scots, it is a bit of pride and a bit of... independence mindedness. They, Scots, and Cossacks used to fill my young imagination.
Oh, you were in Utah, eh? If you ever get the chance, staying longer at one of several state and national parks, or just staying in the mountains, investigating the deserts, or taking a tour through the many places and things would be an adventure of such breadth few states can compare. I am continually amazed at the discoveries I keep stumbling upon.
ReplyDeleteThen again, it looks like you are doing some of that where you can. I sure hope all is going well wherever your head may come to rest. God speed.