.
.
Of course beer is always a consideration. Oh, no worries. I have way too many things to get to the notion any time soon. The last time I looked into it, I was evaluating an automated system. It was, and remains, simply too complex of a project. But... how difficult is simple home brewing? I have seen the kits, but have little interest in that. What else was out there, I wondered? Well, an accidental crossing of paths, rather than a research project, led to a... possibility.
Now, that looked interesting. Here is a written description, with fuller detail, by the same people. However, I then realized where I lived. Oh, no harsh on your mellow. Iowa was like that too, and might still be. Blue laws, corporatism (if you can't make it you have to buy it), and other things infect government at all levels. Sometimes I agree with the sentiment but not the function, sometimes I agree with the function but not the sentiment, and everywhere in between those. In this case, since I am going to drink, being forced to buy from corporate is not preferred. I'd rather make it. Of course, that takes kit, supplies, time, patience, and that upfront money. But... is it legal, here?
A bit of research led me to the fact that we can now brew, and store, up to 100 gallons of our own brew. (Oh, I didn't read it, just was told that's what it says, followed the link, and attached it... I'll read it before long, to be sure... rough day.) I don't believe it is limited to beer. That passed before, or right as, I was moving here. Not an issue. A hundred gallons, you say? Hmm, well, even if I got into it, I doubt if I would make that much. More like the recipe in the vid, then when I had consumed half, another batch, and so on. Eventually I might refine the process, to make a custom beer, but I wouldn't increase the amount. Oh, and I would probably go with smaller bottles. Sometimes one bottle is enough. But 28 ounces is often too much, despite my stories. Only on a full moon, a blue one, and rare blue full moons at that, would 28 ounces pass as a mere taste. That's what my 12-pack taster holder is for.
Just... thinking about wetting the whistle in some future tomorrow through the sweat of my own brow, and sharing the notion. If you ever happen to try this, let me know. While Benjamin Franklin never said that he knew God loved us and wanted to be happy because of beer, I'll take it as a minor consideration. Hmm... I need to get on to some work so I can feel loved and happy a little later. :)
"Of course beer is always a consideration."
ReplyDelete"In Heaven there is no beer.
That's why we drink it down here."
ohhh .. now i want a beer.
ReplyDeletemy oldest son has made his own beer.
currently he is making mead.
Michael,
ReplyDeleteWon't need it in heaven. Actually, until we return to flesh, it would... sort of be an anomaly. :p Now, upon the return to flesh? I doubt if it will be a consideration. Won't be living on the sweat of our brow anymore. Well, and no more trick questions... or fruits.
foam,
Oh, eh? How was it? I'm not sure about mead. I know I've had it. I used to be a minor connoisseur of bubbly non-wine type consumables. It's just been a very long time. You'll have to tell me how the mead turns out. Wait... are you a beer drinker? I don't mean do you drink heavy, just do you have a taste for it? If so, then you can answer. :p
I had one guy go on and on about a beer he hated. It was one I liked. So I asked him what he did like. Oh... some blah-blah wine or three... he says. No beer? No, hate the stuff. Idiot. (plus, I'm teasing you a bit...)
Pre coffee and all that, plus, it's a bit early to be feeling hoppy .. :)
ReplyDeletebut anyway, good morning.
My son's beer was really pretty aweson, especially that first batch.
He did have one bottle blow up with his second batch. But it was still good.
As far as mead? I've only had it once not too long ago. I did not much like it. I'll await futher judgement until my son's mead is ready to be drunk.
Oh, am I a beer drinker? Of course I am. I don't drink daily or even weekly necessarily, but when I do I enjoy a good beer, sometimes a mixed drink, a good sipping tequila or a glass of dry red wine... not all at once though .. :) My limit is one or two drinks. More then that and you might find me splayed on the floor.
Does the area where you live have any local breweries? We have quite a few around here. They are small businesses, some of them only sell their beer on site. It's a way to not do big beer corporation.
Oh, yes. I know. I have never had a gf who can handle more than that. I have seen women try to surpass that, but get terrible hangovers and often get sick right away to top it off. And while I tease, I am also a bit jealous. Two? That's gotta be nice, somewhat, sometimes, usually. Cheap, anyway. :)
ReplyDeleteYeah, you may just end up not liking mead. Still, if not, not everyone can like everything. Not sure, as I said, if I do either. Although there are almost as many variations of even mead as there are wines. But there is a general riff.
Not as many brew-pubs here. The state runs alcohol (poorly, into the ground, with state union workers who AREN'T happy to see you enter THEIR store, meaning they have to work, just like Iowa used to do). They don't allow very many licenses, though. That part I actually approve to a degree. Still, it means there aren't a lot of spots. They are both spendy, and the few I have tried didn't really attract me. Then again, to be honest, even in Iowa (after they opened things up a bit), I didn't really find local brews that I liked. But they, there and here, seem to try to go spaz on their brews. And then they go seasonal, always changing. And can't always get a beer I like, so... I like simple, humble, pilsners. (Actually, the pilsner is a newer.. newest? beer. Belgian triple, and some others, are good. I'm sort of fussy with beer, oddly. And, to be perfectly honest, Budweiser works. I am just thinking that beer might not be available. Then again, if beer isn't available, hops and barley and such might be hard to come by as well? I don't think those store well, for long term. *sigh* But it is an ag area, maybe those would... crop up.
A local farmer might just have want but no knowledge.
Gah! Morning blathering... Happens every time.
Blathering? That's okay. I indulged my morning blather here myself.
ReplyDeleteI suppose there are worse flaws, and things to do in the morning... And better. Hmmm... yeah, definitely better. :)
ReplyDelete