Thursday, February 4, 2021

So very tired.

.
.
I really want to go back to bed.  But I have things to do during the next weeks.  I need to keep the day.  Even if I can't do anything in a particular day, it must be kept as a placeholder.  Today, for the most part, is going to be a placeholder.  it is 16:51.  I have held out well.  Just two to three more hours, pulling the waterers if it seems to be cooling, and putting the ducks in.

Another shower tomorrow morning.  I feel so cold today, in spite of it being above freezing.  With a shower right off, I would normally be warm, warmer, even hot.  Little food today though, that might be part of it?  Whatever.  As mentioned, not much done today.  Tomorrow I am hoping to make a few calls, pick up feed, and... perhaps begin sorting out the rabbits, and getting them to breed.  It's time.  One batch of rabbits, from each doe, even if there were few... say six?... would provide a fairly hefty bounty.

I have checked with several neighbors.  They... aren't sure.  There is another neighbor who seemed interested.  There is no way you will sell these for their cost, mind you.  I am not actually looking to sell... just offer them.  I don't think these would ever pay for themselves.  But what they do is provide the potential for food if all else goes away, even for a short bit... if defending that food source is a whole other issue.  Ask even beef ranchers of their fears should a major calamity occur.  Yours, if you can keep them.

Still, it's the idea.  Same with ducks.  If they would figure out how to go broody, in any case.  And if I can sort out how to get them a place to safely brood and raise chicks.  They are cannibals.  And brutal to their young.  It's just the way it is.  If it works out, in any case, I should have twenty to thirty young in a month... plus or minus a handful... which would take a month to ween and a month or two to feed up.  Some portion will be smaller, most will be larger... say five to probably nearing ten pound dressing weights (bone in).  All... give or take.  A few batches of those a year would seem me very comfortable.  And with enough to offer out.  As to ducks?  Squat, so far.  I need to build a few brooding cages.  I just... don't know what I am doing that way.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Backsass Here