.
Marvels of modern tech. Don't believe me? Ask any king, from even the mid turn of the last century. A hot shower, or bath, in winter... or summer, spring, or fall, temperature adjusted for the season, on call? No, it's a marvel. Do you have any idea how long it took a host of servants to fetch, and warm, enough water to bath? And showers weren't even a consideration.
And, before the 1900s? Bathing required a river. How clean were most of those near cities? Soap wasn't invented until 1791, in the modern era. Some suggested it existed in 2800 bc, in Egypt. If I would bet your left testicle that only the pharoah and those around him had access. Give or take. Oh, people had things they used. Even rubbing down with dirt or sand. Might not sound all that good, but it got the sweat off. If one wasn't so absolutely exhausted from slaving over a pyramid or such.
And showers? Never before, in human history, has man known such a luxury. Sure, there were waterfalls. Most of which were as cold as sin, or some women. Actually all women, from time to time. "Love me, but not near me. You bastard!" I... think that's about the way I've heard it a time or scores. :)
Oh, I measured the temp of the water. Problem though? I collected in in a plastic bowl, then waited until the shower was finished to measture the temp. It only read 100 F? Or so. I suspect it cooled a goodly bit, or a bit anyway, before checking the temp. I'll... text again, next time.
I'll get up and get dressed before too long. Base layer, pj's, a t, socks, and shoes again. I like what shoes are doing. Can walk easier, both when waking, and after the shower even more so. Oh, I need to call the VA and find out about medications. Yeah. I'll... check.
Hmm... It's starting to get around the 30's to low 40s in the day, haven't checked the night temps in a while. Strange thing? If I leave it warmer, downstairs? It stays cooler upstairs, somehow. Turning it down to 68 at night, and it only dips to 64 up there, in the main. Keeping it at 75? It drops to 59 up there. With the door open to the downstairs, and the floor vent open. Very strange. But... okay. I don't mind 59, usually. But cooler can be annoying. I like 64 a bit better though. Waking is slightly easier.
On to a bit of gaming, again. Later.
Chilly, fog, mist trying to be rain, test running emergency diesel gens. for PM. Stopped for Wendy's Chili, figured the crew could use a little warmth. The diesel's controls are always on the air intake side, cold air, radiator fan ups the wind chill and add water drops/vapor, miserable morning.
ReplyDeleteHappy Veteran's day to me. Hope everyone else has a better one.
Have one small chili left may have to re-heat it and add some post work warmth to start my weekend. (I did get wet and chilled, I need more wool if I'm going to keep this up) 120 pounds ago I had enough blubber to keep me warm. used to be "how do you know it's winter here?... Dakota puts on a long sleeve shirt." Now I'm bundling up when its in the 40's, long sleeves in the 50's. Sitting here I have a dog blanket (clean) over my shoulders (like an old man), and one of the kid's baby blankets over my bare legs. I hope my body figures out this temperature modulation thing sometime, I don't retain heat like I did.
One more chill for the night, The local pack of coyotes made a noisy kill in the foggy darkness, snarls, yips& howls rising to a crescendo... then... silence... sleep well.
Yeah? About that temperature moderation thing? It... doesn't get better, the more weight you lose. I used to be able to hand down to, say, -40... give or take, depending on how wet, elevation, and such. Wet and high elevation cut my capacity, but only by twenty unless in combination.
ReplyDeleteRemember, I was complaining, even as fall was hitting, that my fingernails were cold enough to hurt?
I'll be honest. I liked being a fat man. Or jolly. I did. More bully capacity, if needed. Always warm. But dying in a hurry. Though, I don't even mind dying? Argued with God, for fifteen years. Fought Him, really. He won. Part of the cost of my loss was to tend my body, and to love my fellow man, and woman (why do you keep going on about women, Stan?), rightly. :p (Monty Python, btw). Sucks to lose, until... you understand it. Then losing, to the right One, in the right way... is quite good. Anyway. I did like being a fat, jolly, jovial, whatnot, man. Miss it. But, also, not? The cold body comes with it. Ugh, and I still have fifteen to thirty pounds to lose? Gah!
If I have chili, I'll make it. I understand why you can't. There are limits. Soaking dry beans, then cooking them. Prepping onions, meat, other veggies possibly. It's a murder lot of work to make chili. Could make a massive batch, and freeze containers of it. But that is double or triple the effort.
I've been thinking about a meat chili. But... cabbage, mushrooms, a root veggetable, and beef first.
Hmm, might have to look up a carnivore chili. I have the spices down. Just need to sort the meat and bean substitute. Miss beans, gotta be honest. And rice. And pasta. But those were killing me, if warmly. Although summers absolutely sucked, for me. I couldn't handle over 73, even at this nearly 5k altitude.
Veterans' day? I wouldn't have known. I don't think they like all of us, perhaps not many of us. Seriously. Some Americans, I suppose. But not bureaucrats.
"bureaucrats", the bane of my existence... I can only hope "they" decimate the bureaucracy, wait 6 mo. then decimate it again. Every tenth bureaucrat, gone then gone again. we wouldn't miss them.
ReplyDeleteEighty percent of them could be gone and the only thing that would happen is life would be better. The last twenty percent would... stick to the plan, the American plan. And, you better bet your sweet bippy, they would be vetted. One commie, feminist, anti-American, anti-Christian, etc comment, and they would be added to the soup kitchen line. And no retirement, either, for those who are proven evil, wrong, and any of the above.
ReplyDeleteMusk did it with X, and not only did it work, it works better than it ever did. If even he still has certain people disabled from commenting, who shouldn't be.