Sunday, August 30, 2009

I am a bit amazed.

.
.
There have been times, in recent years, when I set out to read the bible only to give up after a time. That has happened several times, actually. Perhaps I was not ready. But this time I made it through the New Testament in a couple of weeks or less. And, as I said, I did not push, prod, attempt to speed read, or anything. If anything I took my time in that I would only attempt to read when I had a clear mind, neither tired nor confused but clear and working.

I see that my (if minority) concerns about the second coming of our Lord were put out completely in one of the books I read shortly after posting that, one of the John's, 1, 2 (probably), or 3. So, I will hand that notion over to the circular file. And, yes, it is that easy. If I find clear writings regarding my doubts, dispelling or lending to them, I then abide the reading. It is only when, in the New Testament, that I find seeming contrary writings where I must take a closer look to discern as well as I may what might be really at work. The one who wrote that passage suggests those who deny the second coming deny also the Lord, and his Father who sent Him. Yeah, I can take a hint, sometimes.

There were many little jewels and gems in their for me. Things I could not recall, other things I could but not in full, and still others I had simply forgotten. I must admit, I am no wiser for the reading. But I am closer to the One who is wise. And, I do believe He may fill me, as I pray that He does, with His ways, will, and bring me to works. I cannot be perfected by the book, by works (though works will show that my faith lives), only by faith (if too, as I understand it, faith without works is dead). Either that or a really big hammer... wait, I am confusing my tech manuals with the bible, scratch that. *looking up with sad puppy eyes* Lord, I pray you have some serious sense of humor.

Now for the hard part, the Old Testament. Actually, if I remember right, it is a good read too (in the truest sense of the word). People who complain about it complain about the N.T. just as much. I am looking forward to that read as well. The Catechism is complained about more then either of the O.T. or the N.T., but I found it rather a good read too, to be honest. Even if you are not Catholic, it might be interesting. Not only does it provide the teachings of the Church, it links right to where in the bible these things are from, often with several (or many) citations. This time, after I finish with the O.T., I will actually go in and find each of those passages and read a little before and after to make sure I think they are being taken correctly. I doubt if I will find any glaring mistakes. They were rather thorough.

And, no, I am not looking for error as such. I am merely deciphering the various books to satisfy my own demands for reasonable practice and understanding. I do the same with text books, tech manuals (if I am so inclined), and even what my Mother tells me. It is simply who and what I am, it is how I do things, and so shut up (as my Mom might have said). :p

I am pleased with this little bit of scholarly research (and spiritual). After having tried to do this recently, and failed, twice, I feel like I have finally done what I knew I should. Even if I failed before, that I did not quit with failure means something too. I will not boast on this, as all I did is what faithful Christians are called to do. I only am pleased that I felt the call and then then finally fulfilled it. And, this is not the end. Because of my own ways, I know I need to be reminded, and often, of just what it is I am called to do, how to do it, and sometimes prodded into doing it.

I say, here and now anyway, that I do not fear Hell. I, at this time, do not. I do not fear the punishment of God, I fear failing him far more. Now, when I stand before Christ, knowing I have failed, and seeing Him in His true light, yeah, okay, most likely I will become weak kneed and sob like a girl child. But for now, here on terra ferma, it is disappointing God that has me worried. But this, like all false worries for those with faith, I give up in my prayers and offerings much like I give up my sins and money.

I feel, after reading some other of the books, a great need to help my neighbor get his teeth fixed. I, financially, cannot do this until I am sure I will not have two rents to pay. But once that is over, I have to help. If I do it on my own, so be it. If he can help some, good. If I can get others to help, all the better. In him is Christ. It drives me to distraction that I cannot just go pay it. I have little money, even in good months, but who needs it. I pray that he does not take ill for it before we can get him fixed up.

I just got a notice, asking me to vote some guy for the next mayor. He wants to create a bunch of living wage jobs here (greater than 50% of minimum wage). So, what, that is $15.00 an hour? And, he wants to restrict increases in student housing costs. Huh? First, I do not mind having decent work for people, but this whole living wage thing just has to stop. It does a lot of bad things. It brings in companies, big companies, who by their nature brings in minorities, who by their nature, seem to be crime bent. Then, it changes the local economy and way of life, perverting to inner city mayhem. Along with greater money comes greater crime in any way, drugs, and other evils money seems to attract. As for student housing, if prices must go up, then thwarting that only changes what goes up or what is available, and is an illusion. Secondly, there are probably far too many useless students on the roles than there should be. How many history b.s.'s do we need? How many social workers do we need? School has become, actually, destructive to the economy... "Hey, I have an art degree, I cannot do any, you know, actual work!". How many are educated beyond a capacity to actually do work that pays well, do manual labor, or be functional rather than corporate suckers?

I have seriously thought of doing him in Joker style, printing it, and putting it out like they did with Quota Boy. "Why so socialist?" I should check on his opponent, who might be worse. This is a college town. Did I ever mention I can be grumpy? Even though I do not pay taxes, I understand the problem with those who spend to curry favor rather than for the right reasons for taxation at all. Taxation is for the good of all, not a few, not this group or that, not so a populist can gain office (and they always seem to be the most crooked). It is to do what no one can do on their own but what needs to be done for the good of all, think roads, fire and police, sewers, water, electricity (actually, water and electricity ought to be privatized, government sucks at it).

Oh, you do not believe me? A hundred years ago, a natural and recurring resource was given to government to make plentiful. It is now a scarce resource, that is water. A rare resource, that is oil, was given over to private industry. Now we have more untapped reserves of oil then what we have EVER pulled out of the earth, plus all those reserves that are actively being pumped. The only reason prices went up is because the part of oil that the government is involved with, the refining processing, is being hampered with so much red tape that no more production is being created! Add to the taxes state and federals are imposing, and that is the whole of the problem... government, not private industry. "Why so socialist?"

Well, I should find something to eat. I am hungry again. I might take a shower, and if the fever abates, go for a spin. I best eat first, as McDonalds (or some other fast food joint) will get the attentions of my stomach before I know it. Then again, in the past, I found that if I drink ice tea instead of soda with the meal, I do okay. But that is when I get my diabetes under control. pfftfft Control schomole... :p Fine, fine, something at home then.

Later, or good night. Both? I like choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Backsass Here