Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Well, so far so good?

.
.
The rest of it went together pretty much as it was supposed to fit together.  Because of the fittings I purchased, I didn't use all of the parts that came with the system.  For the most part, though, I used metal instead of plastic.  And I chose metals that work, not metal sheen over plastic junk.  No promises about even solid metals these days.  You just have to understand that between false advertising and cheap being stuffed into every process, component, engineering aspect, and a near elimination of quality control, you get what you get no matter how much you spend.  It's just the way of it.  It's not going to get better.

After turning the water on, I was... just a bit concerned when I came in.  Water was gushing, somewhere.  I hoped it was just the bathtub faucet still being on, after having used that to drain the system.  Yep.  And the sink.  The sink didn't even seem to be draining so I had opened the tub valve, and... Gush!  Trickle.  Done.  I hate slow faucets.

I know everything is hooked up as it should be.  What I don't know, and won't for a while, is if there are any leaks.  I'll check twice a day for the first few days, and, by nature, that will decrease to once a week... until it is forgotten... if it all works drip free.

I had thought 15:00 was an easy target.  I actually thought I would be done by 14:00 at the latest.  Here it is, 14:26.  It always takes longer than expected.  It was all easy, after my initial problems, it all went as planned, nothing was difficult, complex, or time consuming.  Not sure why those things take so much time even when all those factors are in play.  Never, ever, count on a time estimate.  Well, not from me.  Now I have to get a shower in, dress, and try to call my friend.  I'll be looking for various flowers, I suppose, and some of those other plants I have discussed.  I don't need anything, so far, from the hardware... wait... I need some bolts, washers, and nuts for my bench tools... the vice and bench grinder.  One piece at a time, but it's coming into focus.  Don't know if I will get those today.  Depends on if my friends wants to hit that type of store.  Hmm...  Then again, where I end up buying plants might have them.

Best get going.  Later.

------

No leaks yet, still.  I turned off the new ball valve and it is holding.  So I decided to drain the first tank of water.  Two more cycles after that.  Then I can finally enjoy r.o. water again.  It's been a while.  I have decided not to go into town tonight.  Probably.  I will have to go in tomorrow morning though, as plants are required.  I'll just have to wait until later in the week to see my friend.  I just don't have more to put out for almost anything today.  Still, if I can be pretty sure about the water tightness of the system, get it cycled through to readiness, and perhaps put some of the things back under the sink that I had to remove for the work, that will be enough.

Wow, that drains very quickly.  I was thinking it would take an half hour per.  It's taking, give or take, about ten minutes.  Finally, I'll be able to make a fresh pot of coffee for the first time in days.  And... now I am more comfortable moving forward with ball valves on the rest of the lines.  I won't sweat those in though... that seems to kill valves, even when I have tried to be very careful.  I watched vids, read, practiced on other sweating tasks to get an idea, and all but timed it.  Didn't matter.  Must be something I don't know or they aren't telling, or don't know themselves.  Later.

2 comments:

  1. You unscrew the top and remove all the vulnerable innards before soldering. There should only be brass and/or other metal when it's apart and removed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, right, yeah, I heard that. After several failures, or intermixed in there but I couldn't focus, remember the advice. Actually, I think you are the source. Not sure these break down like that. I'll look, again, shortly. I won't wait until I go to do it or I'll forget. If they do take down, I'll take them all down and put them in sandwich baggies. Hate to waste, and know I'll forget otherwise. Plus... I like sweating copper. Not good at it, but it's... sort of fun.

    Uhrm. No. It's a LOT of fun, I just... hate failure. So, to point, it's a mix of love and hate.

    ReplyDelete

Backsass Here