Sunday, February 2, 2014

My own woodcraft lore?

.
.
Well, sort of.  It isn't anything fancy, it actually isn't mine.  My last ladyfriend passed it to me, but as an idea.  She never did create it.  I did.  Back when I still lived in Iowa, but after we parted.  And, yeah, I gave her half of my stash.  Why?  She begged, it was her idea, I wasn't using it, and I was able to get her to beg.  Good enough.  Anyway.

It's really simple.  The supplies you absolutely must have include cardboard egg cartons, lint from the dryer (which I do keep and store), paraffin or some sort of wax, and a means of melting the paraffin.  Melting paraffin, at least, is a bit messy.  A small pot, water in the base, and a tin can, combine to work the best from my experience.  Simple get the water heated, put the paraffin in the tin can, then put the tin can in the water.  Oh, and don't dump the paraffin down the drain or toilet.  It won't possible stop it, IT WILL STOP IT UP.  Just don't do that.

Once it is melted, coat the egg carton really well, both sides if you wish but I just do the inside.  From what I have seen, it works it's way through.  Then add just a bit of the lint, enough to cover the inside of the egg recess.  Then add a bit more paraffin.  When it dries, quarter the egg recess area, or more.  It doesn't take much.  This is waterproof tinder, and it is a little miracle.  I plan on making some, possibly even yet this evening.  It's been on my mind, I just haven't quite gotten to it.  First I didn't have paraffin, then I didn't have time, then I forgot.  Tonight would be a great night to do it.  Then, as well, I can say I did something.

Good night.

2 comments:

  1. I've read about that combo for fire starters. Gotta save up lint if I'm going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just put a plastic grocery bag on a knob somewhere close to where the lint catcher is. I had to put the bag almost in the way, at first, or I would forget. I probably have five pounds of the stuff now. The thing is, the material has, for all practical purposes, an infinite shelf-life. If it happened to somehow melt into a blog, just cut off snippets with scissors or a knife.

    ReplyDelete

Backsass Here