.
It took a while to recover from doing chores. The shakes, weakness, lots
of things. It was as if I became absolutely exhausted, and all at
once. Just finishing was a bit of a trick. Even the cells in the
muscles hurt, burned. I did finish, then sat, for a while. So
hungry, yet unable to cook. I was able to drive, so I did that instead.
To one of my regulars. Not health food. But hot, and enough, so
that I was satisfied. Rather than drive home to eat cold food, which is
worse for being cold, and impossible to reheat rightly, I find a spot to park
and eat. Preferably a parking lot with overhead lighting, and not too
much traffic. So it went.
As I was eating, I saw the couple. Old. I am old. These were
probably married before I was born. But, together, they... hold up
well. They hold each other up.
She, I saw first, coming around their minivan. I am guessing they have
that for grand, perhaps great grand, children. As well as for
groceries. It's the new station wagon. Dressed in a moderately
pleasant, if dated, dress. Just to below her knees. A white
sweater on over, heavier but not even really to the temps for today, for her
age and sex. Still, she seemed quite comfortable.
Comfortable enough to fuss in the back, through the midsection sliding
door. He, by this time, had round up behind her, so as to see her into
the vehicle. She, as mentioned, decided to fuss in the back. This
is not what he had in mind, and they had a quiet moment if he absolutely
allowed, and helped, in spite of his notions. It... isn't about him, or
even just her, but about what needs to be done, even if that is just ensuring
she feels ready and right. Yes, I... see. In ways others only
imagine.
Finally, settled with what she had wanted checked, moved, set, placed,
adjusted, or such, he helped get her into her seat and closed the door for her
as she otherwise settled in and belted up. It took him ten to fifteen
seconds to shuffle to the other side of the vehicle. Bow legged,
shuffling, in a suit which was probably from when he was a younger man.
His hair so wispy thin, white, almost more smoke than hair... Yet
full. Both of them.
He drove well. One wouldn't have known he was in his seventies or even
eighties by his driving. I headed out just after them. I said a
little prayer. Jealous, I was, remain. They aren't a man and his
wife, they are a people. Just... one. They have shared a life for
longer than I have lived one. I even saw when they were first dating, or
married, through my... talents. They are close, now, to death. It
hasn't all been easy. It won't be easy going on. And, yet, they
are going to be rather comfortable, as they are now, in a way only some of us
may understand.
There will be a little bit of discomfort, as their time ends. Perhaps
moments, when one is finished and the other awaits their turn. But they
will already still be together, here and there. I can sense it
already. I have... been there myself. My first real love will
always be with me, and the last I loved will as well. A few others,
still here and already gone, share my life.
Reminded... of the past and the future... Still, can't help my
jealousy. Their time more real, and together more than I have had the
fortune to know. And, yet, I would not begrudge them a second of their
time. A bit of a prayer for them, as I passed, or one more prayer, and
they turned off. Such a wonderful people.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Backsass Here