.
.
I have seen some windows for as low as $94 dollars. I don't think those would be at all energy efficient however. And I have looked at Anderson windows, which run $400 plus, which come with an energy saver rebate thing. While I like Anderson, I think they are probably over-priced. You are paying as much for the name as for the quality. The trick would be to find a window that has a similar quality without the pricetag. Even if I have someone install the window, I will want to know a great deal about the window they are offering. One group offered lifetime warranty, the problem is they don't have glass in them. Plexiglass or something. I'm not sure, but I think that would be a terrible thing to use for windows unless they have improved. Durable, sure, but why not just put up steel slats? I am still looking.
One of the things that worries me is that the type of window I will be removing is not the same type that I will be installing. Which means a frame might need to be constructed. I am not sure what is holding that old horizontal slat metal framed window in. Is there wood in there? Is it right up against the stone of the house, using mortar? I simply don't know and testing would be rather destructive. I suppose I could just start pulling things apart and looking, but there would go what passes for an already questionable water tight fit. Bleh...
There it was, nearly 1:00, and the phone rang. I have never gotten a call late at night that was an emergency and I don't get wrong numbers. There were only two options, and one of them is in a nursing type home recovering. He is surrounded by hens and they would not allow him such a luxury as a late night call, I think. The other lives in Iowa. It surprised me so, though, that I almost couldn't clear my thoughts regarding it and then get off my butt fast enough to answer it. Just in time. It was my lady friend.
She has been canoeing for the last four weekends. She gave up helping in the organic garden because she felt unwanted, which is killing her. She loves the loam, it seems. But she is sick tonight, and just called to chat. Sort of like she used to call me to bring her soup, or yogurt, or ice cream, or whatever crossed her mind when she was ill and I lived nearby. Sometimes I swore she was pregnant, not ill. I ended up ordering a couple of Russel Crowe movies for her, using a gift card she had, through Amazon. It saved her a trip to the library, to order using their computers. We had an interesting conversation. I still don't get her contentious nature. I have made it clear that she is the only one with a problem. That just boggles her mind. And makes me chuckle on the inside, later right out loud. I just hate giving up my little joys, my personal ones.
Hmm, still no sleep. And I am still cooking hot! I am not sure why. Though it hasn't cooled all that much yet. Windows open, fans going, the sun has been down for hours, and sweat still trickles down my sides. A shower doesn't even do it, though I probably will take one before long. Taking one an half hour before trying to sleep gives me enough time to be fully dry. Later. Actually... good night. I'll be up at least three or four more hours but I should stop boring my readers.
Dealing with the heat and no a/c, I've found that a shower before bed is helpful. But, I go to bed still damp and with a fan on facing the bed. It does help being more comfortable in order to get to sleep.
ReplyDeleteWell, you have the advantage of being in a humid environ, right? Here it is so dry you almost flash dry. The only way to get some cooling out of it, what is left after seemingly even drying WHILE taking a shower, probably body absorption, is to just sit. Get under a fan and it is gone almost immediately. It just seems so small of a cooling, to me, that... I don't really count it.
ReplyDeleteOh, I wouldn't trade you for the world though. I can much more easily suffer dry than humid heat, if neither is my preferred punishment. Ah, that's it! Hell is hot and humid too, both forever with no season change, and lacks ac to boot!
I myself found out recently that glass is very expensive, i need to put double glazing in my place for noise, i wish they cost $100 a window.
ReplyDeleteI hadn't even thought about the noise factor. Then again, with a window that doesn't even truly close, anything will be better for me.
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the wonderful and expensive world of home ownership though! I think it will teach us patients on a scale we have never known before. Waiting for that upgrade, perhaps even a fix. Saving for this, figuring out that, but all over time.
Humidity? Oh, yeah, we gots it.
ReplyDeleteFeels like being wrapped in saran wrap. yuck.