Thursday, January 2, 2014

While I was thinking...

.
.
I have never had a tow "rope" or jumper cables for my vehicles, none of them.  That, to my notions, isn't a good practice.  So this month was the month to fix that.  Cables and ropes come in so many variations that... figuring out which to buy is a major headache.  Reviews have become so jacked that those aren't necessarily reliable, in either direction, always.  I have found items that were poorly rated to be more than I had dare hope and items that were considered tops by reviews to be terrible.  Usually, however, what I saw was what I got.  You can take any product, and to a degree, rightfully rip it apart.  And I don't mind that as long as you keep some other variables in mind.  Do you need a two gauge jumper cable?  Probably not, in my case.  I do run a bigger rig, so four gauge is actually recommended.  Now, do you need to spend $200 on jumper cables?  Absolutely not.  But do you want to risk buying $10 cables when most of them are in the $20-30 range?  I don't.  There are guys, like Desert Cat, who can be handed a tuna and turn it into a hammer.  Damned if I always know how he does it, but...  For me, until or unless I get more experience, I go with spending just a bit, or a lot, more, and even then, having to hope the equipment is better than the handler.

Urhm, by the way, that was a compliment, Desert Cat.  And... I am watching.  If need be, I am probably just a wee bit more... capable than before.  And working on it on my own, as well.  Damn but old dogs are hard to teach.... if there is more there than I knew as well.  Waking and learning.  Behind the eight ball though, until need forces?  Dunno.

Yeah, I sorted through this and that.  I didn't go lowest, I didn't go highest, I didn't completely follow, or ignore, reviews.  I did some outside research.  Yeah, but this stuff really is a bit pricey, even on the simple, mainstream, but slightly better product.  Cables and a container for them, a tow cable, d-ring, and bumper hitch plus a pin.  Yeah, it's never as simple, usually, as just ordering the exact product.  Usually there are little things needed to make that item function, or keep it all together.  I remember, not a year ago, being asked for a jump and not being able to give it.  I felt so bad, just slunk off like the dog I was.  A little middle aged Mexican woman, with her mother.  Felt like a heel, and should have.  Takes time to... fix things, but it is... on the way to being done.  She was so hopeful, and desperate, too.  Nags my mind.  Little things, for me, sometimes.  Hot day.  Desperate.  Such things haunt my dreams.

After the shower, no I haven't gotten to that, but... after the shower, and soaking the dishes, I will try to get a bit of a pack together for the vehicle as well.  And, in the next few days, look for my tools and pick some for the vehicle or consider what sort of a tool kit I need just for the Xt'er.  Bit by bit.  It's tight, with the home and car and... well... things like snow shoes.  And I am keeping money aside for a couple of big projects, teeth and a wheat grinder, sooner or later... but hopefully sooner.  And Burning Man?  Ackh!

Oh, and I also ordered snow shoes, poles, and a pouch roomy enough for all, extra gloves, the other stuff I have, and probably a few extras for easy pick and go.  It was all on sale for less than than the snow shoes alone and shipping would have been for the last months since I first checked them out.
Well, I did buy a treat, as well.  Oh yes I did...  It'll take me a couple of months to get back into pork hock trim so as to actually be able to store some.  Or, next month, I may have to order two or three orders.  Two jars being one order, mind you.  Oh, and no worries.  I have been eating this sort of food, and far worse, for most of my life.  Trust me, this is a step up from my often usual.  I did tell you I was an ogre.  Pickled turkey gizzards, when I get these stocked up.  Yum! And, no, this isn't why my heart is bad.  That was viral.  Arteries are clean as a whistle.  Everything is good, save what the virus did and what 23 years of inattention from medical added to it.  So.... gnom!  Gnom, gnom!  Yum!

Later.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I was laughing... right after I wrote it then thought just a second. I was serious and then... had to chuckle.

    I've just become a bit jumpy, lately. Had to apologize on one of Vox's blogs. I went a little off the even usual off-rail warpath.

    ReplyDelete

Backsass Here