Thursday, April 12, 2012

Did I mention?

.
.
This morning, while waking up, I decided to fry some meat. I set the (thankfully) cast iron pan on the element, with lard, to heat up. I thought I turned my back just for a moment while tinkering with the bathroom. Usually I set an alarm, an overabundance of caution is usually my m.o. This time I didn't, and wouldn't have heard it probably anyway. Smoke! Thankfully no fire though. That white/clear lard turned into heavily used motor oil. Lard IS a spooky thing to work with, though I actually think it is safer than, say, canola or other oils. That lower smoke point the other oils have probably indicates a faster breakdown and a quicker flame temp. Still, I had better watch things a little closer. I keep a bunch of flour on hand, and I do have a couple of fire extinguishers... but those are really for... peace of mind. I don't want to ever have to use them!

While I did miss the KoC event, I realized something else is coming up. The fourth degree Knight ceremony is, I think, this weekend. Rather than wait, and have to travel to boot, plus to have it performed on home turf, I called one of the guys in charge to try and set that up. There is little time, but... maybe enough. What is fourth degree, you might ask? It is the patriotic section of the KoC. And, even with some lingering animosity towards the service, I am still quite happily American. Grump as I do, I still think this nation is the best option, if we need some serious changes. Even if it happens to be the titanic, it is better than a lifeboat, for now. Or... something along those lines. I still see hope if any fruition will be beyond my lifespan. Well, done.

Just little nagging things that had been escaping me. I am doing what I can, when I can. Even feeling a little low I am getting little bits and pieces tended. I can't know, but I have to believe that is all anyone, no matter how good they are, can do. No one just does the whole thing, all at once, without a thought or concern, without time seemingly passing them up. And everybody misses some of the things, even important ones. Some men end up with a perfect career and children who don't know them. Some end up with a great family and little else. Others have their own ways. Honestly, to end up with a family and nothing but grown children to show for it... I think is the ideal. You can't take anything to heaven, don't need it. But in time it would be nice to see family, lots of them. Or, if secular, you can't take anything to the grave, but you can leave something of yourself here, someone who remembers you (good or ill, as the saying goes, just get the name right!).

Bits and pieces. That is what it will take, that is the only way. This week has seen little and big bits and pieces. And I am not finished. Mass tomorrow, maybe some swimming, and paperwork (and tux rental if possible). Then Saturday the ceremony, then Mass, then off to see my friend. Perhaps in my tux, just to show him what a dressed up tank really looks like. Ha! Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Backsass Here