Friday, April 13, 2012

Trouble isn't always bad.

.
.
Thinking about what has happened these last few days I can easily see inconvenience. But I also saw a problem becoming a stumbling block leading into some decent work, a bit of research, the promise (need) of more work, and solutions. If this had happened at another time I am not sure I could have risen to it, either. Between timing coinciding with current ability, plus a number of problems about to be solved, I really can't complain. I am even doing other things I wanted and needed to do that don't pertain to the main "problem". Many on very short notice.

I am not even just "looking for the good side of things" here either. I simply am fine with what has happened and what is happening. Though perhaps this will... push me to be a bit more proactive in home repair. To be honest I was nervous, even afraid, to mess with the electrical, even to messing with the switches. I still am, a bit, but I see that, so far, nothing has exploded, caught fire, or such... yet?

Beside probably getting the tankless water heater in, if that isn't my preferred it is free and here and now, I have: Mopped the bathroom floor. Learned how to shut off that particular circuit (and the oven). Made contacts in town and working on more. Done a good deal of manual labor (my mop is ooc, so my mopping involved drenching then wringing out old (and some new I should be honest) towels. Going further, the water did soak into the carpeting in my bedroom. Which, to my mind, demands a wet-vac device. I will probably let it dry out some on it's own, and buy some carpet freshener while it does so. But that chore is sorely needed. While doing the bedroom I might as well do the living room too. And I think I am up to it next week. And, further along, I may even end up getting to redo the bathroom. At least a bit of it.

The shower will stay, as will the toilet (though maybe with a new wax ring since it will probably have to be removed for a bit). But the vanity will probably go, along with the old mirror in there. The sub-flooring and covering will probably go too. I can do those things, I was just twitchy about the hot water heater. Though from what I hear, that isn't so much of a problem as it might seem, as long as you know which switch to turn off. I should have a lot more room in the bathroom when I am finished. The current vanity runs the length of one wall save the space needed for a smaller water heater (short but just as large diameter as standard). It would be nice to have a dressing chair/bench in there and a more minor vanity. Money, money, money, but... probably much less than I had feared, especially if it do most of it myself. Oh, and I will be looking at adding a drain. Probably not hooked up to the actual plumbing, for now. Just somewhere for back-up water to go that doesn't include my bedroom carpeting. As well, the new floor material, if I can do so, will go up the wall just a bit, so that water isn't so much of an issue and actual real mopping is much easier. At least I know the bathroom floor is lower and has a deeper spot, useful for just what a floor drain would do.

I will probably be heading into town again today, to get some cash and to see my friend. Telling the tales of Great Ulysses is one of the benefits of "heroic" deeds. Well, if you know how to stretch the mundane nature of dealing with a minor household problem. And I do. At least in my mind. Tomorrow is just too busy for me to make it in and I told him I would try to make it in before week's end. A movie, "Soldier" I do believe, maybe I'll bring some things to eat, whatever.

Work is a gift, at least when you can. And that is simply and honestly how I see this mess. Hmm, somehow it reminds me of women. They have been on my mind a great deal as I am getting better. I've definitely got women on the brain... which makes everything seem like a... mess? Heh. Love you dolls. All good.

Good day.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I step away for a day and disaster breaks forth.

    Two inches of water on the bedroom floor greeted us one day several years ago, after a pipe under the concrete slab gave way. That was...an adventure, to be sure.

    It depends upon what your floor/subfloor is made of as to whether you need to replace it. If it is particle board, fugheddaboutit. It has to come out. But if it is planks or plywood, you may be able to get by with drying it out thoroughly and installing new linoleum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's flooded twice before and this time for me, plus it has flooded some unknown times before. I will be looking it over very closely no matter the material. It's really easy to just cut and replace it with plywood. Still, the less work the better.

    ReplyDelete

Backsass Here