Tuesday, August 23, 2016

The hunt for potassium continues.

.
.
A bean I overlooked because, well, because, is adzuki bean.  Why, oh why?  In part, I think, it is because it looked like an exotic name.  As with shiitake mushrooms, I worried that the cost would be prohibitive.  After a bit of research, however, maybe not.  If I can find it, and find it other than organic.  Organic adzuki are over my budget per pound.  Non-organic, from what I have seen, are well under my cost per pound limit.  Further, unlike mushrooms which shrink, beans get larger.  I would be getting more cooked volume than per pound by double or triple.  Doable.  Now to find non-organic adzuki beans that aren't grown in China.  Amazon has completely sold out, and will not give out that kind of information.  The distributor?  I don't care who distributes.  Another Illinois company, by the way, the adzuki beans of the package I reviewed.  Why is are so many Chinese foods and other ingestibles being sent through Illinois?  Hmm... mafia is there, only corrupt politicians, it's pretty much bankrupt, ripped apart it's economy feeding public and private unions...  I suppose repackaging poison food is all that it can do, and it has shown no compulsion to cut the throat of anyone it can make a buck off.  Yeah... I'll look next time I am in town.

The bean is rather amazing.  Small, but easy to digest and with pretty stout numbers in the things I need, from the B vitamins to electrolytes with an A+ in potassium.  It cooks quickly.  The suggestion to soak dry beans... I need to look into that.  It seems there may be more than just softening in prep for cooking.  There may be things which need to be worked out of the bean, things which inhibit digestion.  Why look into it?  Because I was hoping to use the pressure cooker to make quicker work of beans.  Why eat good nutritious beans if you don't open them up to releasing all the good stuff?  Though perhaps the pressure does that.  Dunno, want to know, will check.

Light body aches.  Back, ribs, and that general gurgling from a percolating interior.  Nothing fancy, or too much to handle, just dues for good deeds.  And I'll take them.  Dinner is nearing.  Not sure what I have on hand.  I had really thought of mixing lima and kidney beans in the electric pressure cooker.  Both of those have a good amount of potassium as well.  And I want to try different bean combinations.  I just think there are odd mixes that will taste superior somehow.   Just strange complimentary profiles that defy logic.  I like looking  for those, and finding them.  It takes a lot of mediocre, or worse, meals.  And yet, here I go... if the pressure cooker thing pans out.  Pun is a give or take, if intended only incidentally.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Backsass Here