Sunday, April 6, 2014

Oh, not pointing fingers. Mostly.

.
.
Besides, pointing a finger at someone else, always leaves more pointing back.  So... I suppose you could say I am pointing fingers after all.  Someone, recently, reminded me of how poorly I have been taking care of some things.  Now, that's all good and stuff.  But I will never be tops in this area.  Still, I wanted to see what folks suggested regarding tools.  It is simple, really, assuming everything has a place and is in that place.  See, this is where I fall down.  Never the mind, I am... angling toward that notion and will do what I can as I may.





Just trying to gear up, get going, and thinking on some things.  I suppose, if you ever do get ahead of these projects, staying ahead is, generally, easier.  And, I did notice, in the first video, that our adviser had... not fully implemented his own advice.  The hoe, after all, was not painted, had just a touch of rush, and had obviously not been painted in some time.  Still, that's... not the point.  No real finger pointing, today, mostly.  Just... saying.

One thing, when I can do these things, that I keep in mind, is that my tools aren't really mine.  I can't take them with me when I die.  And, whoever gets them?  I hope these tools will serve them just as well.  Along another set of lines, tools aren't just expensive.  In troubled times, replacing them may simply not be possible.  Taking care of them is another way of taking care of yourself, yours, your neighbors, and the rest.  I... need all the motivation I can get.

Linseed oil is good for wood.  I suppose just about any normal oil would be fine for tools.  Being in a desert, give or take, I do have some specialty oils, for my bike and other geared tools though.  And, I suppose, you could store oils more specific to your climate as well, if... I wonder if that isn't just being fussy, sometimes.  I do avoid wood, for now.  But I used tools that will take wood.  Why?  Because those handles, as he mentioned, are made to about a 200 pound breaking strength.  I weigh 300, or thereabouts.  In other words, just my weight will break wooden handles.  Trust me.  So I get contractor strength handles... if I do worry about their longevity, which is why I make sure they can also take wood, should I need to replace handles and the stronger handles not be available.  Bleh.  Being a giant is not always easy and it truly has to be contemplated.  Broken handles are nasty dangerous, especially at speed or when involved with gravity... falling mass.  Youch.

Now get to it!  Hmm, reminds me...  Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Backsass Here