Friday, April 11, 2014

Tools, again.

.
.
Oh, sure, my shop isn't even set up.  And, yes, I will usually be using electric tools, at least... once I redo the electric distribution to, and in, the garage.  Sure, there is that.  However, in being a practical thinker, and realizing some things, I understand that pursuing quality hand tools along the way is neither a waste of time or money.  And more, learning to use them, alongside the electrical tools, is the only way to go.  Even if electricity never goes out, a possibility, sometimes I like to do things by hand, and without so much noise.  One of the types of tools I have a great interest in collecting, to a point, are planes.

You have no idea how much research I have done on the topic.  Until recently, however, my research was more along the lines of that of a fanboy of some sports club or other.  The reality eluded me.  The costs were prohibitive.  And I didn't have the potential for a shop, or was too busy settling in.  Now that I am settling in, costs are coming under control, things are being figured out, I decided it was time to review these tools again.  As it turned out, I bumped into a sweet article.  It starts out below, the whole quotation will link you over to the site.
From what I read, past research, and some other things, I believe this author offers a very good, solidly laid out, roadmap to a starter set for a beginner with this particular type of hand tool.  Now, there are other tools, eventually, along this line, that I would like to get.  A shave, a various mallets, several hand drills (non-electric, I mean), a larger selection of both wood and metal files.  I do have chisels, various hand saws, and some other things.  I actually have a decent selection of tools, but it's never really enough.  Although it can become a bit too much.  And you can keep gold filigree, special editions, and antique unusable items.  If it doesn't work, or I wouldn't use it due to fear of ruin, I don't want it anywhere near my shop.

Just a Friday night f.y.i.  Now, please, enjoy your relaxation, perhaps a sip of something soft or hard, bubbly or smooth, and perhaps think about what tomorrow brings.  Find something about which to look forward to tomorrow.  I have a few minor plans.  And for Sunday too.  No promises, just a... notion or three.

A little goose, a little warning, and a little giggle.


A little ditty just for me.  Catches my most distant edges and ties them into a nice tidy bow.


For her.  What else can I say?


Good night, probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Backsass Here