.
.
It doesn't seem like much to most, but three days out and about, in one week, is a record of epic proportions in these parts. Especially the last six to nine months. That much travel is about my max per month until now. I am not as done in as on any of those previous one day trips, either. Still, I am ready for some well earned, by my standards, sleep.
I did stop at the post office. The strop dressing compound was in, along with the diamond grit. The medicines I ordered were also in. Oddly enough, even through it all, I had been paying attention to that. If the medicine wasn't in by Friday I was going to call and leave a gentle reminder. I can't stay on them if I don't have them. Losartan is okay, if it only lowers my bp by a touch. But the water pill is vital. A few days off that and I puff up like a blowfish, until I get used to it, mostly. Then water retention comes and goes as it will. No making heads or tails of what food, or drink, will do regarding that. *puff*
Tomorrow? As I said, I am hoping to put together a pack for travel. I may be taking my water purifier along, as well as two liters of water. I need lots of water, at least at first, when I begin pushing. That evens out over time. I do need to time water stops, but even when I was in highschool sports, I realized I needed more water, early in the season, than even two or three other guys. Guys my size, so it isn't a size thing. Then, later in the season I was able to cut water, and needed to, or I would get cramps. But early in the season I could drink almost as much as I wanted, and it helped a great deal. That hasn't changed. I guess I will find out how well my water purifier actually works. If I am going to start using it, I ought to get a replacement filter for it. They say it's good for 50k liters (1300 gallons), but... you know advertisers. I think there is an inline charcoal filter, as well. I may look into that. It's sort of slow, at a liter per minute, and I have doubts about even that speed, but I will be needing a rest, frequently, so that isn't as much of an issue for me.
What to take though? Rain gear of some sort, probably just a simple poncho. A warmer, synthetic, shirt, spare socks and underwear, and some other clothes. All clothes in a dry-bag. I'd love an extra pair of boots but that just won't go, unless I'm packing in heavy. And maybe camp shoes, something a little lighter, but again, only if I am camping out and going in heavy. A bit of food, an MRE and then some extra long term survival eats. None of that is exactly tasty, but hunger provides a wonderful spice. Water, of course. Probably a pistol, as the shotgun would be a bit much up front. An axe, or at least a decent knife, perhaps two, would be wise. That will, pretty much, be it. If I start taking longer trips, I might bring a tarp, for setting up a minor shade tent. Oh, probably ought to take a thermal wrap. Ah, and some minor fire-starting kit. When I start going in deeper, and longer, I'll have to get maps, add in a compass, and take a book on orienteering. Learning on the fly, again, I suppose. I expect lots of things to go wrong. I just hope I cover enough bases that... it isn't too much of a problem. When I plan to be out longer, I will let some folks know.
There is much I could take. Signal mirror, flashlight (though I always have a couple on me anymore, if just minor ones, a hat, bandana, and such. I have a whole collection of functional tools, expendables, and clothes that might fit in. I just don't know what is truly needed, minimally. I don't know what extras might be good, or fun, to take. I will simply have to get out and figure things out. Eventually I am hoping to have a book on local flora, of the edible type. No, as I suggested, I won't be munching my way up the mountain. I will simply be espying possible food sources, testing them however I may, and learning. I'll save eating for some rarefied necessity, even then with great caution and judicious consideration. I would like to find both what is edible and what is definitely not edible, and start figuring out the differences, now. Who knows, if some of it will grow around the house, that might not be all bad, if transplanting is possible.
The goal? By the end of the summer, I hope to have traveled enough minor trails that I can hump the big one. It's only, on a shorter run, seven to nine miles. But that is a long haul for an old sick ogre. There is no place, at the top, to camp. It's pretty much a push on through, and it is quite a thing. If I can do that, and can then get out during the winter to keep up some strength and more, stamina, snowshoeing, then next year, perhaps, I can take longer hikes along some of the more serious mountain trails, further into the interior. But this trail that is my goal is about as serious of an incline and descent as anything I would face. It is the test, but a shorter one. Winter camping, and tracking, is actually the ultimate goal. It's... why I moved here. Dreams of winter camping. But I have to be ready. There is such a small margin of error in the mountains in the winter. But... winter wind blowing on my face, snow everywhere, the scent of evergreens... a dream I can't leave as just that.
Good night.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Backsass Here